View Single Post
Schema's Avatar Schema
02-18-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic View Post
Didn't read all posts real closely, simply don't have enough time.
Heh. I have that problem all the time.

Quote:
Your posts are good.
Thanks.

Quote:
I have not listened to THRAK (just gotten into Crimson about the last 8 or so months), and I've always respected the Midnight Oil, but never dug very deeply there. I will do that when I can.
Suffice to say, THRAK is, at times, crushingly dense, and, in my opinion, the last universally-great Crim studio album. The two in the 2000s feature good arrangements but usually less-than-great performances. As for Midnight Oil? Let me explain it best I can about 10, 9, 8... - under Nick Launay's production, a few sounds are bent in such a way that they, really, you could probably build a song on two sounds and make it still sound alright - and they kinda do on "Outside World." To an extent, this feels similar to Lateralus, especially "Schism," whereas a few sounds can be changed into a good variety. But as for the "30 years" thing - Lateralus really does share a good metric fuckload with 70s music, in my opinion. I can't help but think something in a mix between VdGG or Camel, and Black Sabbath's "Sabotage."

Quote:
I respect your opinions. Well put.
Again, thanks muchly.
Old 02-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #25
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 336
Re: TOOL To Start Writing New Album 'Right Away'

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic View Post
Didn't read all posts real closely, simply don't have enough time.
Heh. I have that problem all the time.

Quote:
Your posts are good.
Thanks.

Quote:
I have not listened to THRAK (just gotten into Crimson about the last 8 or so months), and I've always respected the Midnight Oil, but never dug very deeply there. I will do that when I can.
Suffice to say, THRAK is, at times, crushingly dense, and, in my opinion, the last universally-great Crim studio album. The two in the 2000s feature good arrangements but usually less-than-great performances. As for Midnight Oil? Let me explain it best I can about 10, 9, 8... - under Nick Launay's production, a few sounds are bent in such a way that they, really, you could probably build a song on two sounds and make it still sound alright - and they kinda do on "Outside World." To an extent, this feels similar to Lateralus, especially "Schism," whereas a few sounds can be changed into a good variety. But as for the "30 years" thing - Lateralus really does share a good metric fuckload with 70s music, in my opinion. I can't help but think something in a mix between VdGG or Camel, and Black Sabbath's "Sabotage."

Quote:
I respect your opinions. Well put.
Again, thanks muchly.