View Single Post
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
02-18-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schema View Post
Yeah. I think so. 10KD is clearly a step down from Lateralus - but visually just as striking as previous albums. At least I'm glad I only spend about $10 on 10KD - it's worth a tenner, but - unless there's a damn great-looking vinyl out there - I don't think I'd be willing to slap much more down.

In some ways I regard AEnima as being the very opposite of Bottrill's previous musical project, THRAK. THRAK was crushingly dense and, in most cases, lyrically, was just too bright; AEnima, by comparison, is sparsely-arranged, bold, and mostly consumed by forcefulness.

Lateralus is clearly so blatantly prog-rock, but it seems to me that, in songs like Schism, they're able to work just a few sounds, which leads me to compare it in some respects to the production of Midnight Oil's 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - it happened already a decade and a half ago (double it for Lateralus) and, while it's impressive and seems fresh in today's world where such has been mostly abandoned, at heart it's a revival of ancient traditions - which, mind, isn't disagreeable.

Didn't read all posts real closely, simply don't have enough time.

Your posts are good.

I have not listened to THRAK (just gotten into Crimson about the last 8 or so months), and I've always respected the Midnight Oil, but never dug very deeply there. I will do that when I can.

I respect your opinions. Well put.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #23
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61
Re: TOOL To Start Writing New Album 'Right Away'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schema View Post
Yeah. I think so. 10KD is clearly a step down from Lateralus - but visually just as striking as previous albums. At least I'm glad I only spend about $10 on 10KD - it's worth a tenner, but - unless there's a damn great-looking vinyl out there - I don't think I'd be willing to slap much more down.

In some ways I regard AEnima as being the very opposite of Bottrill's previous musical project, THRAK. THRAK was crushingly dense and, in most cases, lyrically, was just too bright; AEnima, by comparison, is sparsely-arranged, bold, and mostly consumed by forcefulness.

Lateralus is clearly so blatantly prog-rock, but it seems to me that, in songs like Schism, they're able to work just a few sounds, which leads me to compare it in some respects to the production of Midnight Oil's 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - it happened already a decade and a half ago (double it for Lateralus) and, while it's impressive and seems fresh in today's world where such has been mostly abandoned, at heart it's a revival of ancient traditions - which, mind, isn't disagreeable.

Didn't read all posts real closely, simply don't have enough time.

Your posts are good.

I have not listened to THRAK (just gotten into Crimson about the last 8 or so months), and I've always respected the Midnight Oil, but never dug very deeply there. I will do that when I can.

I respect your opinions. Well put.