View Single Post
A Tad Bit Catatonic's Avatar A Tad Bit Catatonic
02-18-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F. View Post
Why would you be let down?? It's a good thing, not a bad thing. Yes, we will have to wait at the very least two years for a new record, but the good news is they are writing for one more, and it may be their last and, possibly, their culminating record that blows us all away.
All I meant, is that posts with headlines like these: "TOOL To Start Righting New Album 'Right Away'", are on first read, usually started by trolls, contain no relevant information to Tool, start out with cursing or playing word games or flaming "noobs", and are a typical device to increase post counts (or bin counts), and therefore a complete waste of time for all of us.

This one was real, genuine, accurate, and positive information.

I see alot of panning of 10,000 Days, and of course everybody has a right to their opinion. I will say in it's defense, and from an honest objective artistic perspective - it is, at the very least, a viable and meaningful experiment in rhythm. They were doing something new here. It may not have been what everybody was used to, and expected and wanted after Lateralus. But mainly, I see it as an attempt by the band to let us know they are down to earth humans just like us and will do things artistically the way they want and desire, capable of mistakes, fully esoteric sonic meanderings, and at the very least a clearer insight into their sense of humor. And concept wise, in my opinion, it is a very clever illustration and presentation of dualism, or duality; how influencial and important that concept has been and will remain to be to us. I see it as an evolution of the band (maybe not in the direction that alot of people wanted them to evolve), but nevertheless an evolution.

Aenema and Lateralus are more serious, and angrier, higher in intensity. And therefore, maybe easier to take seriously. And did remain close enough in formula to appeal to the average Tool fan (not to be insulting and call any of you guys "the average Tool fan"). But I also agree with a few of you, in that alot of the sound is a result of the producers. I would like to see Botrill again, but it seems like Bareissi (sp?), has become part of their family, and is probably not going anywhere anytime soon.

I am looking forward to hearing the samples Danny is collecting from the Hawaiian rainforests for his mandala pads, on the new album. And I hate to say it, but I sincerely think Maynard is beginning to lose his voice, and he is aware of this - so feeling a sense of urgency, no doubt. I mean give the guy a break, how long can you scream (while remaining harmonius, and melodius)like him without losing your voice? (20 years, I don't think so haha?). Adam has been so continually busy, he's got to be burning out (that's probably part of why he looks haggard like he does). The guy is a genious, I think. And Justin started to fingerpick (Wings 1 & 2), and got pretty damn good at it pretty fast, so I cant wait to hear more of that.

I think they have finally realized, given all the press, reviews, and CASH (which is the grandest Tool of them all, in America at least), that Tool is their baby, and their bread and butter. It is their home... and home is where the heart is. All the side projects have been great, but still mediocre comparatively. They are not getting any younger, and the time has come, for them to start at least formulating an ending to this grand adventure. Just like the ending to Parabola; "it's just got to be right". And the time is near...

Anyway, we are aswim in a sea of words, my friends. Sometimes I'm not sure what to think anymore.

This band has had a good run. No tragic overdoses, or irreconcilable differences, or Britney Spears media fiascos. Inspired millions of kids (and adults) towards benevolence. Lived the American dream, even in an industry that is falling apart at the seams. What more could anyone ask out of these guys. I will be happy with one more, personally, and regardless of how, and when.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:44 PM   #22
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 61
Re: TOOL To Start Writing New Album 'Right Away'

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.F. View Post
Why would you be let down?? It's a good thing, not a bad thing. Yes, we will have to wait at the very least two years for a new record, but the good news is they are writing for one more, and it may be their last and, possibly, their culminating record that blows us all away.
All I meant, is that posts with headlines like these: "TOOL To Start Righting New Album 'Right Away'", are on first read, usually started by trolls, contain no relevant information to Tool, start out with cursing or playing word games or flaming "noobs", and are a typical device to increase post counts (or bin counts), and therefore a complete waste of time for all of us.

This one was real, genuine, accurate, and positive information.

I see alot of panning of 10,000 Days, and of course everybody has a right to their opinion. I will say in it's defense, and from an honest objective artistic perspective - it is, at the very least, a viable and meaningful experiment in rhythm. They were doing something new here. It may not have been what everybody was used to, and expected and wanted after Lateralus. But mainly, I see it as an attempt by the band to let us know they are down to earth humans just like us and will do things artistically the way they want and desire, capable of mistakes, fully esoteric sonic meanderings, and at the very least a clearer insight into their sense of humor. And concept wise, in my opinion, it is a very clever illustration and presentation of dualism, or duality; how influencial and important that concept has been and will remain to be to us. I see it as an evolution of the band (maybe not in the direction that alot of people wanted them to evolve), but nevertheless an evolution.

Aenema and Lateralus are more serious, and angrier, higher in intensity. And therefore, maybe easier to take seriously. And did remain close enough in formula to appeal to the average Tool fan (not to be insulting and call any of you guys "the average Tool fan"). But I also agree with a few of you, in that alot of the sound is a result of the producers. I would like to see Botrill again, but it seems like Bareissi (sp?), has become part of their family, and is probably not going anywhere anytime soon.

I am looking forward to hearing the samples Danny is collecting from the Hawaiian rainforests for his mandala pads, on the new album. And I hate to say it, but I sincerely think Maynard is beginning to lose his voice, and he is aware of this - so feeling a sense of urgency, no doubt. I mean give the guy a break, how long can you scream (while remaining harmonius, and melodius)like him without losing your voice? (20 years, I don't think so haha?). Adam has been so continually busy, he's got to be burning out (that's probably part of why he looks haggard like he does). The guy is a genious, I think. And Justin started to fingerpick (Wings 1 & 2), and got pretty damn good at it pretty fast, so I cant wait to hear more of that.

I think they have finally realized, given all the press, reviews, and CASH (which is the grandest Tool of them all, in America at least), that Tool is their baby, and their bread and butter. It is their home... and home is where the heart is. All the side projects have been great, but still mediocre comparatively. They are not getting any younger, and the time has come, for them to start at least formulating an ending to this grand adventure. Just like the ending to Parabola; "it's just got to be right". And the time is near...

Anyway, we are aswim in a sea of words, my friends. Sometimes I'm not sure what to think anymore.

This band has had a good run. No tragic overdoses, or irreconcilable differences, or Britney Spears media fiascos. Inspired millions of kids (and adults) towards benevolence. Lived the American dream, even in an industry that is falling apart at the seams. What more could anyone ask out of these guys. I will be happy with one more, personally, and regardless of how, and when.