View Single Post
Schema's Avatar Schema
02-15-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody View Post
I agree. Lateralus was a great album but to be followed by 10,000 Days was just a big disappointment. It was predictable. Not to mention that we had to wait 5 years for it. 5 years for that? That's the biggest reason why so many people were upset. When you take that long to release an album everyone expects you to completely change your sound and release a masterpiece.
Yeah. I think so. 10KD is clearly a step down from Lateralus - but visually just as striking as previous albums. At least I'm glad I only spend about $10 on 10KD - it's worth a tenner, but - unless there's a damn great-looking vinyl out there - I don't think I'd be willing to slap much more down.

Quote:
Aenima was just something very different and unique for the time that it was released in. It was refreshing and hard to define. A true masterpiece.

Lateralus was a near masterpiece I guess. They became a much more mature band. It was the next logical step in their progression but it was so blatantly prog rock and It just wasn't groundbreaking like Aenima was.
In some ways I regard AEnima as being the very opposite of Bottrill's previous musical project, THRAK. THRAK was crushingly dense and, in most cases, lyrically, was just too bright; AEnima, by comparison, is sparsely-arranged, bold, and mostly consumed by forcefulness.

Lateralus is clearly so blatantly prog-rock, but it seems to me that, in songs like Schism, they're able to work just a few sounds, which leads me to compare it in some respects to the production of Midnight Oil's 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - it happened already a decade and a half ago (double it for Lateralus) and, while it's impressive and seems fresh in today's world where such has been mostly abandoned, at heart it's a revival of ancient traditions - which, mind, isn't disagreeable.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 336
Re: TOOL To Start Writing New Album 'Right Away'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody View Post
I agree. Lateralus was a great album but to be followed by 10,000 Days was just a big disappointment. It was predictable. Not to mention that we had to wait 5 years for it. 5 years for that? That's the biggest reason why so many people were upset. When you take that long to release an album everyone expects you to completely change your sound and release a masterpiece.
Yeah. I think so. 10KD is clearly a step down from Lateralus - but visually just as striking as previous albums. At least I'm glad I only spend about $10 on 10KD - it's worth a tenner, but - unless there's a damn great-looking vinyl out there - I don't think I'd be willing to slap much more down.

Quote:
Aenima was just something very different and unique for the time that it was released in. It was refreshing and hard to define. A true masterpiece.

Lateralus was a near masterpiece I guess. They became a much more mature band. It was the next logical step in their progression but it was so blatantly prog rock and It just wasn't groundbreaking like Aenima was.
In some ways I regard AEnima as being the very opposite of Bottrill's previous musical project, THRAK. THRAK was crushingly dense and, in most cases, lyrically, was just too bright; AEnima, by comparison, is sparsely-arranged, bold, and mostly consumed by forcefulness.

Lateralus is clearly so blatantly prog-rock, but it seems to me that, in songs like Schism, they're able to work just a few sounds, which leads me to compare it in some respects to the production of Midnight Oil's 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - it happened already a decade and a half ago (double it for Lateralus) and, while it's impressive and seems fresh in today's world where such has been mostly abandoned, at heart it's a revival of ancient traditions - which, mind, isn't disagreeable.