View Single Post
EssnayRepXTamEt's Avatar EssnayRepXTamEt
02-07-2007, 03:02 PM

Cool post, but tragedies require certain things... one of those things is the Tragic Hero, which this song lacks.

The Tragic Hero:
1. is not a regular person. Cannot be average, needs to be somebody "great." The song lacks this...
2. The person must be essentially good. We have no evidence of this in the song.
3. They need to have a tragic flaw, such as hubris. Or failing to learn from his/her mistakes. There's nothing of the like in the song.

The song is basically about a normal guy who has an adventure of some sort. Which doesn't qualify for a tragedy. The audience needs to be able to feel a sympathy or some sort of other emotion for the character. And it's hard to feel something for a guy who takes a shit load of drugs and trips out because of it. I feel no emotions for such a character, other than humour. But I don't sympathize, or feel bad for the guy. He was nothing to me...

I see your points though, and it's very interesting, indeed. Nice post.
Old 02-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: A Touch of Tragedy; and other minute but significant details i noticed

Cool post, but tragedies require certain things... one of those things is the Tragic Hero, which this song lacks.

The Tragic Hero:
1. is not a regular person. Cannot be average, needs to be somebody "great." The song lacks this...
2. The person must be essentially good. We have no evidence of this in the song.
3. They need to have a tragic flaw, such as hubris. Or failing to learn from his/her mistakes. There's nothing of the like in the song.

The song is basically about a normal guy who has an adventure of some sort. Which doesn't qualify for a tragedy. The audience needs to be able to feel a sympathy or some sort of other emotion for the character. And it's hard to feel something for a guy who takes a shit load of drugs and trips out because of it. I feel no emotions for such a character, other than humour. But I don't sympathize, or feel bad for the guy. He was nothing to me...

I see your points though, and it's very interesting, indeed. Nice post.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote