View Single Post
Old 08-30-2006, 11:53 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/08/30 - Englewood, CO - Coors Amphitheater

Unfortunately, I have to rain down on all the natural high's involved. While certain things about the show like the band's energy (they were very into it) and Aenema (how does a majority of the crowd know all the lyrics?) helped to move it into a "decent" category as far as overall concerts, I will have to say it was the worst Tool concert I have been to thus far.

Two main reasons: the crowd and the acoustics. Don't let people fool you with "it sounded great, everything was clear". All I heard was a ton of audio clipping through this "clear mix". The biggest problem is the opressive noise ordinaince associated w/ the venue. Anytime Maynard showed extra inflection, volume clipping. Band meeting for a crescendo? Clipping. Ugh... Also, how am I supposed to get into "The Pot" when all I hear is a tinny guitar coming out of a seemingly 3" speaker, instead of the thunderous chug of a pretty cool sludge riff. I wish Adam could hear himself from where I stood (slightly off center, on the hill). It was utterly annoying to have to strain to hear his meandering lead in songs like Sober.

I mentioned the crowd. Don't get me wrong, it was mostly a lot of us internet lurking closet Tool fans, but a lot of it was also the "FUCK YEAH, TOOL" x 20 during songs. Why would you want to hear yourself scream the name of the band instead of the music being played? Also, I don't really care, that you care, to shout your opinion of the opening band, and how they suck, when we are waiting 30min. in line just to get the fuck inside (ISIS was playing the whole time, seriously, 30min.). Truly, fuck Fiddlers Green a.k.a. Coors Ampitheatre.

As I said, great energy, and the crowd was genuinely rabid to see Tool, so that does make up for a lot, and I did find myself enjoying it more than I should have. Two quick notes. The extended jams of Stinkfist and Opiate are a nice breather, but I don't care for the new double time section of Schism. It seemed pretty forced and messes w/ the dynamic of the song too much to be cohesive.

A decent teaser. But please. God. Give us Red Rocks. And some other mainstays (Pushit/The Patient/Prison Sex). Ok. I'm done blabbing.
OFFLINE |