View Single Post
junior
07-28-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondegreen
I think one reason for the setlist not changing night to night is that the show is so intricate. The videos, lights, lasers, etc... all work in conjunction, and I'm sure changing that night to night would be a difficult task. That being said, I wouldn't mind to see the band strip things down a bit to allow for more flexibility in the setlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshspence View Post
2) they are too tied down to the visual aspects. i love the visuals, and always thought that put Tool over the top from a live concert perspective. but i go to concerts to hear live music. but now the visuals are dominating the timing, pacing, and order of the show. everything is in sync b/w the audio and visual, and leaving no room for flexibility. i understand they want us to see the full 'production' as they intended when they organize the show. but as a longtime fan, id vote for stripped down visuals, and have these brilliant musicians put their talents to work with some improvisation, covers, rarities, re-works, etc. just feels like a waste to have them methodically do the same thing every night. and honestly adam looks mostly bored the entire time. justin and danny seem to love whatever's going on.
I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it until I am hoarse: THE VISUAL ASPECT OF THE SHOW DOES NOT DICTATE THE SETLIST.
At least a few people must have seen that coming.

All visual aspects of the show are operated 100% by humans, and played like an instrument. The band do not play along to the visuals. There is no time code or click track. Those aspects are in sync only because the lighting, video, and laser operators are pushing the right buttons at the right times.

A 'stripped down' Tool show would only be that: stripped down. You'd still get the setlist that they've decided to play based on whatever criteria it may be. If all of the lights, lasers, and video gear got sent back to the vendors tomorrow you'd just end up with a Tool show that doesn't have any lights, lasers, and video. It wouldn't magically transform into some awesome opportunity for the band to play different songs every night.

As for the particular mood Maynard may have been in at this show, there were an unusual amount of flash cameras in the front and it was bothering him. I'm not going to judge on whether that SHOULD affect a singer in a band, but in the case of Tool and Maynard it DOES. People know about it. It's no secret. He hates flash cameras during the show. It frustrates him to no end. That's not going to change.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #44
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.27.09 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnett Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondegreen
I think one reason for the setlist not changing night to night is that the show is so intricate. The videos, lights, lasers, etc... all work in conjunction, and I'm sure changing that night to night would be a difficult task. That being said, I wouldn't mind to see the band strip things down a bit to allow for more flexibility in the setlist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshspence View Post
2) they are too tied down to the visual aspects. i love the visuals, and always thought that put Tool over the top from a live concert perspective. but i go to concerts to hear live music. but now the visuals are dominating the timing, pacing, and order of the show. everything is in sync b/w the audio and visual, and leaving no room for flexibility. i understand they want us to see the full 'production' as they intended when they organize the show. but as a longtime fan, id vote for stripped down visuals, and have these brilliant musicians put their talents to work with some improvisation, covers, rarities, re-works, etc. just feels like a waste to have them methodically do the same thing every night. and honestly adam looks mostly bored the entire time. justin and danny seem to love whatever's going on.
I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it until I am hoarse: THE VISUAL ASPECT OF THE SHOW DOES NOT DICTATE THE SETLIST.
At least a few people must have seen that coming.

All visual aspects of the show are operated 100% by humans, and played like an instrument. The band do not play along to the visuals. There is no time code or click track. Those aspects are in sync only because the lighting, video, and laser operators are pushing the right buttons at the right times.

A 'stripped down' Tool show would only be that: stripped down. You'd still get the setlist that they've decided to play based on whatever criteria it may be. If all of the lights, lasers, and video gear got sent back to the vendors tomorrow you'd just end up with a Tool show that doesn't have any lights, lasers, and video. It wouldn't magically transform into some awesome opportunity for the band to play different songs every night.

As for the particular mood Maynard may have been in at this show, there were an unusual amount of flash cameras in the front and it was bothering him. I'm not going to judge on whether that SHOULD affect a singer in a band, but in the case of Tool and Maynard it DOES. People know about it. It's no secret. He hates flash cameras during the show. It frustrates him to no end. That's not going to change.
OFFLINE |