Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)
Rosetta Stoned
Flood/Some Day’s It Is Dark/Flood

Intermission

Wings for Marie
10 000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious

One word to describe the whole experience: Phenomenal!

I have seen Tool 9 times in total now, and this is definitely one of the top experiences. I have read on a couple accounts that Adam designed the lighting to the show so that newcomers of the Tool experience would come unprepared, expecting to get a life altering experience; so the lights start off slow to generate a false sense of security as the true ability of the live set unfolds before your eyes. At the very least, he accomplished what he wanted as I heard people commenting as they left the building – as well as listening to the impact on my Mother and Fiancée, who (on both accounts) had just seen Tool for their first time. Personally, I thought this was much more functional, as the contrasting experience gave you that much more to think about, and take in visually than an overbearing set of lights that desensitized the senses halfway through the set.
This also transcended into the songs, as you could hear the band was developing a new ear to the songs created both on the new, and old songs. Making slight rearrangements to the placement of lyric and riff.

The crowds energy was pretty good, except for the occasional waste case, and a couple people that did not know when to shut up {particularly during Wings/Days} , or to stop screaming for the pot: Hello, you are in the back of the building, I am sure that the people three rows ahead of us couldn’t make out what you had to say.
The other negative feedback i have about the show also concerns the crowd. Just prior to the initiation of Wings for Marie, Maynard requested "no flash photography." After repeating this a couple times, the people behind be can be quoted saying "whatever," or "who gives a $h!t." Not forgetting to mention all the photography you could see during Wings/Days in Particular. I'm sorry, maybe I just have a strayed vision of respect, but if you are going to see a band that you like, and that you have invested your money into enjoying their presence, how could you NOT respect a simple desire. In case anyone was not aware, this song concerns Maynard's Mother - Judith Marie - who passed away in the not too distant past. So with this song being of personal nature, not to mention the SIMPLE request made by Maynard just prior to the performance of the song, what would compel someone to take pictures? and why? -- maybe there is just less attention paid to morals and values than I would have liked to think, especially within the Tool circle. ..

The songs themselves were amazing, each one taking you from the place you stood to a different reality, and returning you in time for the next departure. The lasers have evolved along with Tool’s performance as well. The last time I saw them would have been at the Molson Amphitheater in Toronto in September, which provided a reality altering experience in and of itself. {Especially being outside in the rain for Wings/10 000 days, but I digress.} But this light show has come a lot further. I liked the adapted Sigilum Die Ameth that was hidden within the middle ring of lights that hovered above the stage like unidentified flying objects that were ready to abduct the unsuspecting at any moment. The intermission that was reanimated for this show was a nice throwback to the intermission used during the later legs of the Lateralus tour(s): Purple and green lights with Chet Zar animations of a face pealing back to reveal an escaping skull. The sounds that bombarded the landscape were violent vibrations that fluctuated, creating harmonics that began to crescendo until meeting their climax with the help of Maynard’s keyboard, finally coming to rest in the Wings for Marie.
I would have to say that my personal peak for the show was the performance of Flood. After that they could have walked off stage, but they didn’t! Everything after that point was that much better, and I left the show with a natural high. (Even though there was an excessive amount of Marijuana administered into the air supply, I couldn’t have made me feel the way I did when I walked out of Copps Coliseum)

The Only Message For Tool: Thank You Eternally!

Spiral Out . ..
Old 07-10-2007, 07:48 AM   #22
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/07/09 - Hamilton, ON - Copps Coliseum

Setlist: {Dedicated to Catlin}

Jambi
Stinkfist
46 & 2
Schism
Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman)
Rosetta Stoned
Flood/Some Day’s It Is Dark/Flood

Intermission

Wings for Marie
10 000 Days
Lateralus
Vicarious

One word to describe the whole experience: Phenomenal!

I have seen Tool 9 times in total now, and this is definitely one of the top experiences. I have read on a couple accounts that Adam designed the lighting to the show so that newcomers of the Tool experience would come unprepared, expecting to get a life altering experience; so the lights start off slow to generate a false sense of security as the true ability of the live set unfolds before your eyes. At the very least, he accomplished what he wanted as I heard people commenting as they left the building – as well as listening to the impact on my Mother and Fiancée, who (on both accounts) had just seen Tool for their first time. Personally, I thought this was much more functional, as the contrasting experience gave you that much more to think about, and take in visually than an overbearing set of lights that desensitized the senses halfway through the set.
This also transcended into the songs, as you could hear the band was developing a new ear to the songs created both on the new, and old songs. Making slight rearrangements to the placement of lyric and riff.

The crowds energy was pretty good, except for the occasional waste case, and a couple people that did not know when to shut up {particularly during Wings/Days} , or to stop screaming for the pot: Hello, you are in the back of the building, I am sure that the people three rows ahead of us couldn’t make out what you had to say.
The other negative feedback i have about the show also concerns the crowd. Just prior to the initiation of Wings for Marie, Maynard requested "no flash photography." After repeating this a couple times, the people behind be can be quoted saying "whatever," or "who gives a $h!t." Not forgetting to mention all the photography you could see during Wings/Days in Particular. I'm sorry, maybe I just have a strayed vision of respect, but if you are going to see a band that you like, and that you have invested your money into enjoying their presence, how could you NOT respect a simple desire. In case anyone was not aware, this song concerns Maynard's Mother - Judith Marie - who passed away in the not too distant past. So with this song being of personal nature, not to mention the SIMPLE request made by Maynard just prior to the performance of the song, what would compel someone to take pictures? and why? -- maybe there is just less attention paid to morals and values than I would have liked to think, especially within the Tool circle. ..

The songs themselves were amazing, each one taking you from the place you stood to a different reality, and returning you in time for the next departure. The lasers have evolved along with Tool’s performance as well. The last time I saw them would have been at the Molson Amphitheater in Toronto in September, which provided a reality altering experience in and of itself. {Especially being outside in the rain for Wings/10 000 days, but I digress.} But this light show has come a lot further. I liked the adapted Sigilum Die Ameth that was hidden within the middle ring of lights that hovered above the stage like unidentified flying objects that were ready to abduct the unsuspecting at any moment. The intermission that was reanimated for this show was a nice throwback to the intermission used during the later legs of the Lateralus tour(s): Purple and green lights with Chet Zar animations of a face pealing back to reveal an escaping skull. The sounds that bombarded the landscape were violent vibrations that fluctuated, creating harmonics that began to crescendo until meeting their climax with the help of Maynard’s keyboard, finally coming to rest in the Wings for Marie.
I would have to say that my personal peak for the show was the performance of Flood. After that they could have walked off stage, but they didn’t! Everything after that point was that much better, and I left the show with a natural high. (Even though there was an excessive amount of Marijuana administered into the air supply, I couldn’t have made me feel the way I did when I walked out of Copps Coliseum)

The Only Message For Tool: Thank You Eternally!

Spiral Out . ..