View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 10:28 AM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/01/31 - Melbourne, AUS - Sidney Myer Music Bowl

well....
first time I've seen Tool, and I gotta say I enjoyed it afukofalot.
Yes, yes the lines were shocking, that venue is not really built for that size crowd... the sound was bloody good though, compared to any other venue in Melbourne. Festival Hall is the only rival but it's so constricted for numbers....
Anyway, where was I? Oh yeah the show! I was in GA but was center 2nd row (nice eh?): brilliant view - short ppl infront of me, brilliant sound - if lacking slightly in volume at my range, and the closest to a mosh pit that was able to form.
It's a little sad that the only mosh area was so goddam far away from the stage that there was little to no moshing... Ah well, things picked up for a crucial bit of Jambi (my favourite track off 10,000 days) and for Aenima there was some real moshing happening. Seemed to me that they put the most energy into that, but maybe it was just that there was more energy in the crowd around me.
So, what was my point? hang on, I'll try to work that out...
Er, I guess that Tool themselves were a brilliant act, the light show supplemented the music beautifully, The guy on the roof (a frequent Melbourne event) was cool... though shining laser pointers in his eyes never seems to knock him off does it? I saw at least three aimed at his face.
I was a lil disapointed in the crowd energy (ie the entire lack of head-thrashing mosh pit taking up half of the hill) though having the mosh pit so far from the stage does dispirit people a little.
Good set, I think the songs led into eachother nicely. Can't wait till they come out next, hopefully at a different venue? so long as it's not Telstra Dome :P
OFFLINE |