View Single Post
Old 01-31-2007, 06:05 AM   #19
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 318
Re: 2007/01/31 - Melbourne, AUS - Sidney Myer Music Bowl

Firstly, I agree that the fella on the roof put a dampner on the mood of Wings. I missed the better part of the song wondering if the guy would fall down. I had to laugh at the potential irony of him falling during wings...

Secondly, the extended section of Schism - fuck yes. They definitely need to record this. It made the song seriously awesome. I'd heard it on a bootleg before the show, but it was mad live.

I would have preferred a seat, because the view I got, being about 5-6 people back wasn't the best. I couldn't relax as much as I would have if I had a seat, and in that regard I preferred Rod Laver in '02 as a venue. If I went again, I'd definitely be looking for a seated ticket. The crowd though was pretty good. I didn't go to the big day out, but from the sounds of it, it was heaps worse there. I'm tall though, so I got a good view.

The other people singing didn't bother me too much, mostly because I was singing too. Yeah, shoot me. I couldn't really hear Maynard very well most of the time, and a few other people I spoke to in GA thought he was pretty quiet too. Not sure how he sounded up the front. I heard that he'd been avoiding the pot, and that a show in texas was cancelled a few weeks back due to maynard being sick, so it's not surprising that he didn't nail a few of the higher and longer notes in most songs. Bit of a bummer though. I hope it's a passing thing.

The show was fucking brilliant though. I was surprised, but Vicarious was a definite highlight for me. It's probably one of my more favoured tracks off 10,000 Days, but it came off really well live. Other than that, everything else was cool. I did notice that people were a lot more subdued during Rosetta Stoned and 10,000 Days, which was cool because I could actually hear things more clearly.

I would have liked a bit more variety in the set, and I was hoping they'd mix it up more after seeing Sydney's setlist. 46+2 was good for the first time, as were all the 10,000 days tracks. Jambi kicked a lot of arse. Anything more obscure off Ænima, and anything at all off Undertow would have tickled my fancy. I would have traded the support for an extra song any day, so maybe Sydney got a better deal (as they got swamp song).

Anyway, that's the end of my long-winded review. Good times, can't wait for December.