View Single Post
VegasNitro
01-18-2012, 05:02 AM

I am glad TooL (or their management) have finally decided to take advantage of larger arenas in Vegas. I had grown weary of cramming into the Pearl or the (old) Joint. Getting in and out of the Aladdin theater at Planet Hollywood was a joke at best, criminal debacle at worst. I am hopeful on future tours they will come back here to the larger arena at Mandalay, because the place was completely sold out. Big crowds equals big paydays. On to the show ...

I was in Floor 9 Row A right next to the soundboard. Any song in which Maynard used the mic'd megaphone was unintelligible or just plain couldn't be heard. So starting off the show with Hooker With A Penis with virtually no heard lyrics was a bummer. Maynard was somewhat chatty ... made fun of himself for forgetting lyrics in Schism, comparing himself to the Green Bay Packers in that he had done something so many times that it became rote and eventually he forgot how to do it, and before you know it, you are lost. When he was on the standard mic, it was a good performance by Maynard, he really tried to hit the notes unlike their last show in Vegas. The drum off in Lateralus was excellent, yet it was last time they were here too. The show had a too-familiar feel to it ... almost like a greatest hits tour insofaras it felt no different than the last 2 times they came through town. Similar setlist, same stage setup, same video. Hopefully, this hastily assembled mini-tour was not just a moneygrab ... but a goodbye to the old before they come out with new stuff to blow us away all over again. Tool is one of the few artists I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt. If it was the first time you had seen them, it would have been a fantastic show to you I am sure. As painful as it is for me to write ... for me it was just "meh". Maybe I am just getting too old and cranky. After all, 10,000 days in the fire is long enough ...

Last edited by VegasNitro; 01-18-2012 at 05:05 AM..
Old 01-18-2012, 05:02 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.15.2012 - Las Vegas, NV @ Mandalay Bay Events Centre

I am glad TooL (or their management) have finally decided to take advantage of larger arenas in Vegas. I had grown weary of cramming into the Pearl or the (old) Joint. Getting in and out of the Aladdin theater at Planet Hollywood was a joke at best, criminal debacle at worst. I am hopeful on future tours they will come back here to the larger arena at Mandalay, because the place was completely sold out. Big crowds equals big paydays. On to the show ...

I was in Floor 9 Row A right next to the soundboard. Any song in which Maynard used the mic'd megaphone was unintelligible or just plain couldn't be heard. So starting off the show with Hooker With A Penis with virtually no heard lyrics was a bummer. Maynard was somewhat chatty ... made fun of himself for forgetting lyrics in Schism, comparing himself to the Green Bay Packers in that he had done something so many times that it became rote and eventually he forgot how to do it, and before you know it, you are lost. When he was on the standard mic, it was a good performance by Maynard, he really tried to hit the notes unlike their last show in Vegas. The drum off in Lateralus was excellent, yet it was last time they were here too. The show had a too-familiar feel to it ... almost like a greatest hits tour insofaras it felt no different than the last 2 times they came through town. Similar setlist, same stage setup, same video. Hopefully, this hastily assembled mini-tour was not just a moneygrab ... but a goodbye to the old before they come out with new stuff to blow us away all over again. Tool is one of the few artists I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt. If it was the first time you had seen them, it would have been a fantastic show to you I am sure. As painful as it is for me to write ... for me it was just "meh". Maybe I am just getting too old and cranky. After all, 10,000 days in the fire is long enough ...

Last edited by VegasNitro; 01-18-2012 at 05:05 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote