View Single Post
Old 02-05-2007, 03:10 PM   #15
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367
Re: 2007/02/04 - Perth, AUS - Claremont Showgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akasha View Post
Btw Deuceman, in november, if possible, wel DEF meetup for the gig. I wanted to meetup at BDO, but the night before and the morning of the gig, the TDN forums wouldnt load, kept getting database error messages, shouldve written down ur mob no. when i first saw it in the pm. As you said, other that external things (bogans, wind etc), top performance byt he guys.
Yeah, I noticed the site here was all messed up on the day, so at that point I knew I wasn't likely to meet up with you and the others I'd contacted. Not to worry. November will be the real show anyway. Just hope they don't burn themselves out playing too many gigs between now and then, hopefully they'll have another short break before they do the "south pacific" leg or whatever.

The die-hard Tool fans were easy to spot at the show the other night, I reckon. My brother was laughing at some of them (hopefully none of you folks). He's 48, so we're talking about a guy who was a total acid freak and pothead, spent most of the 70's in another universe, and got to see Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, etc, etc, all in concert many times. He can actually remember some of the shows as well! He saw Led Zep play in Montreal, Canada for $5 in mid 70's!! Inflation blows, eh? Sorry, off topic.

Anyway, he was laughing and he said you could pick the die-hard Tool fans easily
because they were all shapes and sizes, ages, etc, but they all had a couple of things in common: a very intense focus and singular purpose in the lead up to the show, an almost trance like anticipation of what was to come. This is not news to me, since that's just the normal way to feel when you're about to see Tool play. Nothing else matters, nothing else should even exist. Didn't work out that way on the night, unfortunately, too many distractions for me. But whenever I was able to I just loved being able to completely plug into the band and let the music flow into me. As I've said so many times before around TDN, nobody can touch these guys. Nobody is even close to touching them.

Shit, always say way too much. Sorry about that. Oh, second thing he said the die-hards have in common is they all look like the kind of people who weren't very popular at school and would hang out on their own or with very small groups of one or two other people. The kind of people who would look that little bit different to everybody else. Don't get him wrong: he's not saying "freaks" or "losers". He's talking about fringe dwellers who choose to be on their own and do their own things because they don't need or want to conform and be like all the sheep.

I took it as a compliment. Hope others do as well. I'm proud to be part of the flock of die-hard Tool fans. Only we truly understand and benefit from what Tool have to offer us. Any other flock - musical, societal or otherwise - can't offer up anything even close to this.
OFFLINE |