View Single Post
SpiralOut34's Avatar SpiralOut34
01-15-2016, 12:28 AM

THE ENTIRE SETLIST IS LISTED IN THIS POST!

If you want to read my full review of the experience, it is here. I'm going to pull just the Tool section and include it below. Here are also a couple links to our view from the stage and my signed copy of the poster from yesterday night. Adam did some cool fucking artwork for this tour, I really love this poster!

REVIEW OF TOOL:

Tool came on with Viginti Tres introducing them before they led into their cover of Led Zeppelin’s, “No Quarter.” I never thought I would get to hear No Quarter live, and I thought it was a great opener. At times I have noticed Adam making small errors in the very ending when playing this song, but they did a great job this show before heading into The Grudge. This was my first time hearing The Grudge live, and it was really incredible. Every member of the band was focused and the song came together beautifully. As I mentioned before, there is a certain wonder I experience considering the exactness, precision, and geometric quality of Tool’s music. I was not surprised to see Maynard did not try the extended scream at the very end of the track, but understand that his voice has changed, and he is beyond a point in his life where he wants to scream in that manner. Adam then began to play the opening to Parabol/a, which I have not heard since 2012. Hearing this during a particularly low time in my life was very inspiring and uplifting, and I was glad to have heard it again. It is also really amazing seeing the ending to this video on the big displays Tool brings with them! After the end of this song, Justin Chancellor played the opening chords for Schism, but stopped before beginning the main riff. He put his hand to his ear and the audience responded–and Schism began in earnest! They played the extended version of Schism, which is a curious experience. I’ve found I enjoy the fast interlude, but the song seems to grow in emotion, halt, grow even more, and then fall into the usual bridge. I don’t imagine they will do it now, but I would like to see them find a way to blend the emotion of the last chorus into the beginning of the interlude itself, so they do not have to stop twice. After playing Schism, they played the new extended version of Opiate, which is always evolving and exciting to hear. At the end of the new addition to the bridge, Maynard quipped about how long Adam, Danny, and Justin would keep up a sort of call-and-response part that closed the interlude and helped them transition back into Opiate. Also interesting to me was his choice to change the words to, “What you need is someone strong to use you,” throughout the song. Somehow, this felt more personal and painful that the original lyrics. The band then played AEnima, another crowd favorite. This was the song Maynard had the most errors and modifications in, and I really wonder how much he cares for it at this point. I have little to say for it, though it was clearly an energizing song for a lot of people at the show. Following AEnima, they began to play what is presently being recorded on setlists as Descending, which I rather love. It reminds me of some moments on Lateralus, which brings me great joy. After this they began to play Jambi, which is my favorite song from 10,000 Days. Maynard shifted some of the ways he sings this song last evening, and I liked this experimentation with it. After the show, we laughed at the number of people trying to dance to odd time signatures and expecting to keep to the downbeat the entire time. The played Forty-Six & 2, which of course features a fantastic drum solo from Danny Carey. He played it note for note, and we were able to see him very clearly from our seats, which was a real pleasure.

Following Forty-Six & 2 the band started a brief intermission counter. I am always a bit disappointed they don’t feed Intermission in through the house speakers during this time, on repeat, of course. The lights above the stage displayed hearts and smiley faces during intermission, which we got a kick out of.

After this, Danny came out and played a drum solo over a synth bit controlled behind and beneath his kit, if I understood correctly. He is really an incredible drummer to hear, but to watch him live is another experience entirely. At one point, he let go of the stick in his right hand on accident, but a new stick was in his hand almost immediately and one might not even have noticed he dropped it had they not been paying attention. Following his solo, the band played Sweat, which I was again very surprised to hear. It struck me that this song was much shorter and more approachable than a lot of the other choices for this setlist, and was a nice expression of how their music has developed over the years. Finally, they closed the show with the extended version of Stinkfist, which is always exciting to hear live. Adam did an excellent job replicating the solo from the album, and I love the extended version of this song.

After Stinkfist ended, Maynard left the stage fairly quickly. However, the other band members stayed out and walked back and forth across the stage several times, waving to the crowd and hugging one another. They really seemed to be taking in the energy at the end of the show.

This concert is hard for me to describe. I loved it, sincerely, but there are other emotions mixed in as well I have yet to unravel. I have a set of questions I asked my guitar teacher that I think I may record and expand on in a later post. This concert was really one of discovery and reflection for me. It was a joy to be there with my teacher, who I had learned from for several years and really learned how to truly appreciate and experience music with. I look forward to the upcoming album and tours. The guys create incredible music and their work has had a profound impact on my life.

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016
Old 01-15-2016, 12:28 AM   #4
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 89
Re: REVIEW - San Antonio

THE ENTIRE SETLIST IS LISTED IN THIS POST!

If you want to read my full review of the experience, it is here. I'm going to pull just the Tool section and include it below. Here are also a couple links to our view from the stage and my signed copy of the poster from yesterday night. Adam did some cool fucking artwork for this tour, I really love this poster!

REVIEW OF TOOL:

Tool came on with Viginti Tres introducing them before they led into their cover of Led Zeppelin’s, “No Quarter.” I never thought I would get to hear No Quarter live, and I thought it was a great opener. At times I have noticed Adam making small errors in the very ending when playing this song, but they did a great job this show before heading into The Grudge. This was my first time hearing The Grudge live, and it was really incredible. Every member of the band was focused and the song came together beautifully. As I mentioned before, there is a certain wonder I experience considering the exactness, precision, and geometric quality of Tool’s music. I was not surprised to see Maynard did not try the extended scream at the very end of the track, but understand that his voice has changed, and he is beyond a point in his life where he wants to scream in that manner. Adam then began to play the opening to Parabol/a, which I have not heard since 2012. Hearing this during a particularly low time in my life was very inspiring and uplifting, and I was glad to have heard it again. It is also really amazing seeing the ending to this video on the big displays Tool brings with them! After the end of this song, Justin Chancellor played the opening chords for Schism, but stopped before beginning the main riff. He put his hand to his ear and the audience responded–and Schism began in earnest! They played the extended version of Schism, which is a curious experience. I’ve found I enjoy the fast interlude, but the song seems to grow in emotion, halt, grow even more, and then fall into the usual bridge. I don’t imagine they will do it now, but I would like to see them find a way to blend the emotion of the last chorus into the beginning of the interlude itself, so they do not have to stop twice. After playing Schism, they played the new extended version of Opiate, which is always evolving and exciting to hear. At the end of the new addition to the bridge, Maynard quipped about how long Adam, Danny, and Justin would keep up a sort of call-and-response part that closed the interlude and helped them transition back into Opiate. Also interesting to me was his choice to change the words to, “What you need is someone strong to use you,” throughout the song. Somehow, this felt more personal and painful that the original lyrics. The band then played AEnima, another crowd favorite. This was the song Maynard had the most errors and modifications in, and I really wonder how much he cares for it at this point. I have little to say for it, though it was clearly an energizing song for a lot of people at the show. Following AEnima, they began to play what is presently being recorded on setlists as Descending, which I rather love. It reminds me of some moments on Lateralus, which brings me great joy. After this they began to play Jambi, which is my favorite song from 10,000 Days. Maynard shifted some of the ways he sings this song last evening, and I liked this experimentation with it. After the show, we laughed at the number of people trying to dance to odd time signatures and expecting to keep to the downbeat the entire time. The played Forty-Six & 2, which of course features a fantastic drum solo from Danny Carey. He played it note for note, and we were able to see him very clearly from our seats, which was a real pleasure.

Following Forty-Six & 2 the band started a brief intermission counter. I am always a bit disappointed they don’t feed Intermission in through the house speakers during this time, on repeat, of course. The lights above the stage displayed hearts and smiley faces during intermission, which we got a kick out of.

After this, Danny came out and played a drum solo over a synth bit controlled behind and beneath his kit, if I understood correctly. He is really an incredible drummer to hear, but to watch him live is another experience entirely. At one point, he let go of the stick in his right hand on accident, but a new stick was in his hand almost immediately and one might not even have noticed he dropped it had they not been paying attention. Following his solo, the band played Sweat, which I was again very surprised to hear. It struck me that this song was much shorter and more approachable than a lot of the other choices for this setlist, and was a nice expression of how their music has developed over the years. Finally, they closed the show with the extended version of Stinkfist, which is always exciting to hear live. Adam did an excellent job replicating the solo from the album, and I love the extended version of this song.

After Stinkfist ended, Maynard left the stage fairly quickly. However, the other band members stayed out and walked back and forth across the stage several times, waving to the crowd and hugging one another. They really seemed to be taking in the energy at the end of the show.

This concert is hard for me to describe. I loved it, sincerely, but there are other emotions mixed in as well I have yet to unravel. I have a set of questions I asked my guitar teacher that I think I may record and expand on in a later post. This concert was really one of discovery and reflection for me. It was a joy to be there with my teacher, who I had learned from for several years and really learned how to truly appreciate and experience music with. I look forward to the upcoming album and tours. The guys create incredible music and their work has had a profound impact on my life.

Tool - June 20, 2010 - A Perfect Circle - July 22, 2011 - Tool - January 21, 2012 -
Nine Inch Nails - November 5, 2013 - Skinny Puppy - January 30, 2014 - Tool - March 24, 2014 - Tool - January 13, 2016
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote