View Single Post
Skunk
02-09-2012, 07:19 PM

This was my 6th Tool show. In section 101 probably right behind the guy that posted above me lol. Absolutely the best show I've seen since 10K Days came out. Acoustics were not great, but that was expected in an arena venue. This was the first show out of four since 2006 where I felt Maynard's vocals were totally on point. He still took certain notes a bit easy, but this was the best he has sounded in years. Saw them twice at Red Rocks in 2010, he knocked a few songs out of the park there but this show was totally awesome. We also got a few choice Maynard-isms.

One thing I'm *really* looking forward to on the next album: At Red Rocks when they played Third Eye and here when they played Hooker, Maynard has been saving his voice by going to the heavy distortion effects on the vocals again; something he largely eschewed on the the past two albums outside of maybe Rosetta Stoned. Judging by how great it sounds, especially on Third Eye where is was just *earth-crushingly* powerful, I'm really hoping the next album features a bit of that on the heavy vocal hooks.

The rest of the band were outstanding as always. This was my first time seeing Hooker With A Penis and Pushit live, and neither disappointed. Loved the change to a slower chorus in Pushit. Hooker is an amazing opener, and really set the tone for the show. The pre-Schism jam is fantastic, hope it gets developed into a full song. The jam in the middle of Schism is still excellent too. But the lack of the extended Stinkfist was a downer. Live visuals seem to get better with every tour. Phenomenal show, I treat every Tool concert and album from here on out like it will be the last, and it was great to see these guys do their thing again.

Last edited by Skunk; 02-09-2012 at 07:22 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #26
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: 02.07.2012 - Orlando, FL @ UCF Arena

This was my 6th Tool show. In section 101 probably right behind the guy that posted above me lol. Absolutely the best show I've seen since 10K Days came out. Acoustics were not great, but that was expected in an arena venue. This was the first show out of four since 2006 where I felt Maynard's vocals were totally on point. He still took certain notes a bit easy, but this was the best he has sounded in years. Saw them twice at Red Rocks in 2010, he knocked a few songs out of the park there but this show was totally awesome. We also got a few choice Maynard-isms.

One thing I'm *really* looking forward to on the next album: At Red Rocks when they played Third Eye and here when they played Hooker, Maynard has been saving his voice by going to the heavy distortion effects on the vocals again; something he largely eschewed on the the past two albums outside of maybe Rosetta Stoned. Judging by how great it sounds, especially on Third Eye where is was just *earth-crushingly* powerful, I'm really hoping the next album features a bit of that on the heavy vocal hooks.

The rest of the band were outstanding as always. This was my first time seeing Hooker With A Penis and Pushit live, and neither disappointed. Loved the change to a slower chorus in Pushit. Hooker is an amazing opener, and really set the tone for the show. The pre-Schism jam is fantastic, hope it gets developed into a full song. The jam in the middle of Schism is still excellent too. But the lack of the extended Stinkfist was a downer. Live visuals seem to get better with every tour. Phenomenal show, I treat every Tool concert and album from here on out like it will be the last, and it was great to see these guys do their thing again.

Last edited by Skunk; 02-09-2012 at 07:22 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote