View Single Post
Godin
08-12-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question
I very muchy agree with your idea of the album being a unified piece of work.
Yeah, there ARE little parts to many of the songs which hint at a relation to other songs within the album... and then when you begin to further consider a possible correlation between the songs that are hinting at relations to one another, a profound understanding of the album begins to fall in place. (or, to be fair, perhaps a profound MISunderstanding, if I am completely wrong) :-)

The few you mentioned have certainly caught my eye. Here are a few key ones I'd like you to think about:

In "Rosetta Stoned", the guy who had a supposed alien encounter says he was told by the aliens that he was "the chosen one". "10,000 Days (wings pt. II)" is essentially a song trying to convince the "you" figure of the song that "You are the light and the way that they'll only read about". In other words, "you are the chosen one" would be a fair way of restating that "light and way" line.

In "The Pot", someone is characterized throughout the song with very many figures of speech, but the most recurrent lyrics in the song are "you must have been high". In the middle musical interlude of "Rosetta Stoned" where it builds up towards the "Overwhelmed as one would be..." section, Maynard sporadically repeates "high, high, high, high, high". This makes me want to carry over the character referred to in "The Pot" to the same character referred to in "RS", both of which are characterized as being consumed in a "hippy haze".

There are some other really interesting ones... I'm not really up to listing them all out right now though, for some reason. :-\ I will later.

-Godin

Do we move only 'cause we need to move, and hense should state all the rest -the justifications- as mere pretense?
Old 08-12-2006, 10:10 AM   #32
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Neither the brave nor bold...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Question
I very muchy agree with your idea of the album being a unified piece of work.
Yeah, there ARE little parts to many of the songs which hint at a relation to other songs within the album... and then when you begin to further consider a possible correlation between the songs that are hinting at relations to one another, a profound understanding of the album begins to fall in place. (or, to be fair, perhaps a profound MISunderstanding, if I am completely wrong) :-)

The few you mentioned have certainly caught my eye. Here are a few key ones I'd like you to think about:

In "Rosetta Stoned", the guy who had a supposed alien encounter says he was told by the aliens that he was "the chosen one". "10,000 Days (wings pt. II)" is essentially a song trying to convince the "you" figure of the song that "You are the light and the way that they'll only read about". In other words, "you are the chosen one" would be a fair way of restating that "light and way" line.

In "The Pot", someone is characterized throughout the song with very many figures of speech, but the most recurrent lyrics in the song are "you must have been high". In the middle musical interlude of "Rosetta Stoned" where it builds up towards the "Overwhelmed as one would be..." section, Maynard sporadically repeates "high, high, high, high, high". This makes me want to carry over the character referred to in "The Pot" to the same character referred to in "RS", both of which are characterized as being consumed in a "hippy haze".

There are some other really interesting ones... I'm not really up to listing them all out right now though, for some reason. :-\ I will later.

-Godin

Do we move only 'cause we need to move, and hense should state all the rest -the justifications- as mere pretense?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote