View Single Post
Old 11-27-2006, 06:51 PM   #13
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/11/27 - Wembley, UK - Wembley Arena

really really great show.. great gig.. the greatest i've seen so far.. by tool or any other bands.. it was a really complete gig.. not only was the music perfect, the visuals/lights were flawless.. what to say, it's tool

i missed mastodon coz of arriving late.. duno if they're good or not.. but simply tool's set is enough for me.. starting off with stinkfist, the most famous tool's in clubs, the whole crowd has already get hyped.. like how maynard's jacket glow in the UV (is it?) light.. i also like the extension in between second chorus and final bit.. is it the OTR mix? sounds awesome to me

swampsong.. fucking well done tonight.. another flawless piece.. i actually think it's done better than sober live.. coz (maybe i'm wrong) maynard had a hard time hitting the high note for sober (WHY can we not be sober?) in the last gig in hammersmith.. and i'm not sure why they chose this particular track from undertow.. hmm.. they're probably sending out some hidden messages......

next comes the first greeting from the host of tonight's show, maynard..
"Good evening! I have a good news and a bad news. I'll start with the good news
Good news is:
Danny Carey, Maynard Keenan -- Irish
Adam Jones -- Welsh (my welsh mate cheered for that :))
and Justin Chancellor -- English
And the bad news is: there is no bad news."

Right where the intro of Jambi comes in.. this bit is fucking great.. the impact of the intro just comes in right on time.. fucking great.. and love the lights that flash according to the beat Adam is playing during the intro.. other than that, another piece well done.. and yeah i forgot to mention maynard's voice is so much better this time round.. particularly noticeable in jambi.. as i can actually hear the words he's singing..

next up is the ol' time classic Schism, for me, it kind of loses its impact on me this time round compared to last time in hammersmith.. but it's still good.. one thing good for schism this time, is (of course) the voice again.. loud and clear.. two things: i like how maynard kind of adds the backup vocals during "cold silence has..." it could or could not be backup vocals.. but it sounded amazing.. good job there.. and i like two bars of the extension bit when the bass just plays single note for two bars.. i notice the difference and i loved it.. (duno if u guys know what i mean)

hoho.. lost keys/rosetta stoned... my favourite track on 10,000 days.. lost keys was quite good.. but i think Justin had some hard time with the effects.. as the delay was a bit longer than expected i think.. and noticing that Justin kind of screwed up, Adam was a bit panicky i think.. he got one/two notes wrong.. haha quite funny.. rosetta stoned.. quite well done i think, compared to the previous reviews i read for rosetta stoned.. the only part i'll like to mention is the first "rap" verse (10 to 2am, DMT, X...) ended up shorter than the original track.. but the band still carried on, nice work.. and maynard didn't chant the "holy fucking shit" for 8 times!! (one of my favourite bit in this song) other than that... fucking great.. just like the part "Overwhelmed as one could be..." amazing lines/tunes..

here comes a short instrumental.. the drum beat.. if u listen closely, i really thought they were gonna play Third EYE!! which would've been fucking great!! should've played that.. but, it actually leads to......
the pot, i'd say the most poppy song in 10,000 days, nevertheless it's still great.. and congrats on getting no.1 in billboard for two weeks.. Tool really deserve it.. 10,000 Days should be on no.1 album chart for a month or more! for this song, i only like the part "weeping shades of indigo, shed without a reason.." that's the highlight.. of the song.. which is nicely done.. other than that, like the ending bit.. one of the greatest ending since schism.. wish i can feel the 'umph!' when i play the ending on my guitar but just doesn't feel right without the bass and drum..

then there comes the intermission.. wish they'd have played Intermission (from Aenima).. could've fit.. like the part when Justin put up his lighters.. some interaction.. as maynard's not keen on making jokes tonight..

starting off second part with wings/10,000 days, awesome is all i have to say.. with the huge blank backdrop never used up until now, the artwork of Alex Grey suddenly show up in the middle of the song.. GREAT! and the factor that dominates this song..... the introduction of the green lasers... this is the "visual" part of tonight.. wouldn't have been a complete show without the lasers.. fucking awesome.. from this song, u can see clearly, that Tool is on fire this time round.. they're up to their fullest this time.. and no mistake in this song.. and yes, like the part where Maynard sings "Give me my wings.." awesome

after this song ends, i was satisfied.. i feel like the money i've paid for, i've got it back.. so i wasn't really listening the last three songs.. still hypnotized by wings/10,000days.. but lateralus was great.. like the part where they use different effect, instead of drum, in the beginning before the guitar intro comes in.. and also, what i like about lateralus this time round, is that the bass doesn't slow down tooooooo much after "reaching out to embrace whatever may come!" (if u know what i mean).. coz i notice in past live shows, Justin slows down a lot in that part.. including the one in Hammersmith Apollo.. well, nicely done again.. coz doing lateralus is probably like breathing air for Tool now..

Vicarious is nicely done.. tho, i dun really like it when Maynard passed the mic the crowd instead of him singing the last chorus.. but i guess there's some limit to his voice too.. needs some rest.. the notes are fucking high for the last chorus.. they've used the green lasers throughout this song as well.. but the impact is just not there already.. well, given the equipment, Tool would've said that's the best they can come up with.. but hehe, i'm just a consumer, being fussy here,.. :P

Aenema.. no comments.. another perfect piece.. it's like doing lateralus.. easy..

Tool didn't play 46&2 or H. tonight.. two of my favourite Tool's songs.. but it's still a great show.. for me, Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days are the highlights for tonight's show.. overall, Maynard is in good condition altho he didn't talk much.. which is fine for me.. i'd rather see Maynard singing.. Adam is definitely more involved this time.. the sound of guitar is more prominent.. Justin is as skillful as usual, like it when he does his headbanging.. the quiet man, Danny Carey, as important as usual.. the drumming is more subtle this time.. which is great because it was definitely toooo loud in hammersmith.. and also, like the guys walking around in lab coats.. haha.. looks like they're doing an experiment on Tool, as they are the lab rats..

oh well, enough said.. Good night, all Tool fans..
OFFLINE |