View Single Post
Reluctant Messiah's Avatar Reluctant Messiah
07-09-2007, 11:01 PM

Second Tool show for me, the first was in Calgary last August, and its hard for me to decide which was better.

I wana end on a high note, so Ill list the cons first:

-I dont know if it was just where I was sitting, but the sound was terrible compared to Calgary. In Calgary I was practically on the floor, tonight we were way up on the second balcony. I could barely hear Maynard through the entire show, especially during the beginning of Rosseta Stoned, which I was really looking forward too. The drums I found were too quite at times too, and the sound got muddy at spots as well. On top of that, the sound was just quiet in general. When they played Clagary the entire place SHOOK, litterally, and my ears rang long into the next day. Tonight i could barely hear them over the idiots singin behind me (more on them after) and my ears are barely ringing.

-to the idiots behind me I wana say that yes, we get your excited, but please shut up, especially during wings/10000 days which they talked all the way through. The one guy hit me over the head about ten times with the shirt which he was swingin around. and as I said earlier, since the band was quiet I could barely hear Maynard when these guys were singing. Im just thankful they sung on key, though it got really annoying when they sung the guitar solos too.

-now Im very open about music and I like a lot of styles, but I'm not a big fan of the band that opened for Tool, the drummer was fantastis, but I couldnt hear the bass and the singer just sounded like he was yelling. That and all their songs sounded the same. Isis opened for them in Calgary and I was hoping to discover another new awesome band, but sadly I didn't.

-No "The Pot", :(

Now that I've gotten all that off my chest, lets go onto the good stuff, cause theres a heck of a lot more:

-Tool played fuckin AMAZING. from a playing perspective they played better than Calgary, VERY tight together. Adam nailed the solo in Jambi which had been a dissapointment for me in Calgary, its one of my favourite solos and it was perfect tonight. Justin was rocking out like crazy as usual, and Danny was a fuckin beast. Maynard, though I could barely hear him, sung really well and did a couple of fuckin awesome screams during Rossetta Stoned.

-The visuals blew Calgary absolutely out of the water. In Calgary they only had small screens behind each of them and had videos playing on the jumbotron above the floor, which meant you had to look up to see it, which got very annoying. Tonight there were large screens behind each of them AND two bigger screens on either side, as well as one hug one behind all of them and (since I got a birds eye view) the visuals on the stage, and the videos flowed between all the different screens perfectly. The light and lazers are a tie though, both shows were fantastic

-The Flood! enough said

-Seeings them play Wings for Mary and 10000 Days was practically a religious experience for me, I had shivers, it was so powerful. If I hadn't been with a bunch of friends I might have cried, no joke.

-all the extensions and ambient interludes were incredible, something you just cant get from listening to the CDs

-The free ticket I got in exchange for helping my friend move, :D

-Being the one guy out of the four of us who had to sit next to someone I didnt know (I wanted the isle seat, but I didnt get it), but that someone turned out to be two really awesome chicks, who hated the guys behind us just as much as we did.

So thats pretty much it, all in all it while it had its problems it was still better than any other non-tool show Ive seen so far (though the Red Hot Chili Peppers are ca close second). Cant wait till they come around again, but who knows when thatll be.

Wow, I wrote a fuckin lot, haha
Old 07-09-2007, 11:01 PM   #14
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/07/09 - Hamilton, ON - Copps Coliseum

Second Tool show for me, the first was in Calgary last August, and its hard for me to decide which was better.

I wana end on a high note, so Ill list the cons first:

-I dont know if it was just where I was sitting, but the sound was terrible compared to Calgary. In Calgary I was practically on the floor, tonight we were way up on the second balcony. I could barely hear Maynard through the entire show, especially during the beginning of Rosseta Stoned, which I was really looking forward too. The drums I found were too quite at times too, and the sound got muddy at spots as well. On top of that, the sound was just quiet in general. When they played Clagary the entire place SHOOK, litterally, and my ears rang long into the next day. Tonight i could barely hear them over the idiots singin behind me (more on them after) and my ears are barely ringing.

-to the idiots behind me I wana say that yes, we get your excited, but please shut up, especially during wings/10000 days which they talked all the way through. The one guy hit me over the head about ten times with the shirt which he was swingin around. and as I said earlier, since the band was quiet I could barely hear Maynard when these guys were singing. Im just thankful they sung on key, though it got really annoying when they sung the guitar solos too.

-now Im very open about music and I like a lot of styles, but I'm not a big fan of the band that opened for Tool, the drummer was fantastis, but I couldnt hear the bass and the singer just sounded like he was yelling. That and all their songs sounded the same. Isis opened for them in Calgary and I was hoping to discover another new awesome band, but sadly I didn't.

-No "The Pot", :(

Now that I've gotten all that off my chest, lets go onto the good stuff, cause theres a heck of a lot more:

-Tool played fuckin AMAZING. from a playing perspective they played better than Calgary, VERY tight together. Adam nailed the solo in Jambi which had been a dissapointment for me in Calgary, its one of my favourite solos and it was perfect tonight. Justin was rocking out like crazy as usual, and Danny was a fuckin beast. Maynard, though I could barely hear him, sung really well and did a couple of fuckin awesome screams during Rossetta Stoned.

-The visuals blew Calgary absolutely out of the water. In Calgary they only had small screens behind each of them and had videos playing on the jumbotron above the floor, which meant you had to look up to see it, which got very annoying. Tonight there were large screens behind each of them AND two bigger screens on either side, as well as one hug one behind all of them and (since I got a birds eye view) the visuals on the stage, and the videos flowed between all the different screens perfectly. The light and lazers are a tie though, both shows were fantastic

-The Flood! enough said

-Seeings them play Wings for Mary and 10000 Days was practically a religious experience for me, I had shivers, it was so powerful. If I hadn't been with a bunch of friends I might have cried, no joke.

-all the extensions and ambient interludes were incredible, something you just cant get from listening to the CDs

-The free ticket I got in exchange for helping my friend move, :D

-Being the one guy out of the four of us who had to sit next to someone I didnt know (I wanted the isle seat, but I didnt get it), but that someone turned out to be two really awesome chicks, who hated the guys behind us just as much as we did.

So thats pretty much it, all in all it while it had its problems it was still better than any other non-tool show Ive seen so far (though the Red Hot Chili Peppers are ca close second). Cant wait till they come around again, but who knows when thatll be.

Wow, I wrote a fuckin lot, haha
OFFLINE |