View Single Post
Choice Breath's Avatar Choice Breath
05-29-2007, 04:30 PM

I've been dreading posting this, especially after reading the above reviews, but here it goes. That was my least favorite Tool show of all time. For most of the show, Maynard looked more like he was waiting at a bus stop than like he was fronting the best band of all time. I've been seeing Tool live since the Undertow tour and this show was just flat. Don't get me wrong, Tool is way way way better than any other band live or otherwise. I don't believe there is a band that could even come close to their level of live performance on their worst night, but this show was just flat compared to other times I've seen them. Danny was unbelievable and Justin was jamming, Adam was typically unanimated. I think it was just that Maynard simply seemed like he would have rathered be anywhere else. Admittedly, it was like the old Maynard for Pushit, and 46 & 2 was really jamming, but otherwise, he just did not seem into it. Flame away if you must. Let the shitstorm begin, but there's not a bigger Tool fan around. Check my earlier posts, I'm a fan-atic. I'm disappointed, as were my friends.

One thing I've noticed is that the live production isn't what it used to be. The sound was pretty muddy. I noticed that in L.A. too. It used to be that everything about a Tool show was perfect even and maybe especially the sound, the mix. That just wasn't so the other night. Maynard doesn't even hit a lot of the high notes in songs anymore. We thought, "Maybe he can't hit those notes anymore." But he hit everything in Pushit, so I'm really confused about that issue.

And, for Tool, considering the rest of the show they put on visually, I think the lasers are superfluous and cheesy. Sorry.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #29
Prana

Bincount™: 8
Re: 2007/05/24 - Baton Rouge, LA - River Center

I've been dreading posting this, especially after reading the above reviews, but here it goes. That was my least favorite Tool show of all time. For most of the show, Maynard looked more like he was waiting at a bus stop than like he was fronting the best band of all time. I've been seeing Tool live since the Undertow tour and this show was just flat. Don't get me wrong, Tool is way way way better than any other band live or otherwise. I don't believe there is a band that could even come close to their level of live performance on their worst night, but this show was just flat compared to other times I've seen them. Danny was unbelievable and Justin was jamming, Adam was typically unanimated. I think it was just that Maynard simply seemed like he would have rathered be anywhere else. Admittedly, it was like the old Maynard for Pushit, and 46 & 2 was really jamming, but otherwise, he just did not seem into it. Flame away if you must. Let the shitstorm begin, but there's not a bigger Tool fan around. Check my earlier posts, I'm a fan-atic. I'm disappointed, as were my friends.

One thing I've noticed is that the live production isn't what it used to be. The sound was pretty muddy. I noticed that in L.A. too. It used to be that everything about a Tool show was perfect even and maybe especially the sound, the mix. That just wasn't so the other night. Maynard doesn't even hit a lot of the high notes in songs anymore. We thought, "Maybe he can't hit those notes anymore." But he hit everything in Pushit, so I'm really confused about that issue.

And, for Tool, considering the rest of the show they put on visually, I think the lasers are superfluous and cheesy. Sorry.