View Single Post
Thirdeye11
05-17-2007, 05:21 AM

My 9th show overall, and probably the 2nd best I have ever seen.

The cons of seeing Tool live these days is that you know what the setlist is before you even walk in the door. It's extremely disappointing never to be surprised as to what is coming next. I knew when "Lateralus, Vicarious, Aenema" was coming and frankly, I'm tired of this setlist. You can play Lateralus every show because it's one of the best concert gigs ever, but drop the others occasionally. Vicarious was good, but Maynard didn't sing the best 10 seconds of it and opted to hold out the mic stand to the crowd after yelling "Sing it Texas!"

Some notable Maynardisms:

"Thank you very much, Texas."

"I know you're all drunk, but try not to fuck a relative on the way out."

"Please be careful on your way home tonight. Look out for each other, we want to see you all again in one piece."

Compared to recent shows, apparently that's talkative for MJK these days. I was happy with Maynard's level of enthusiasm. It doesn't even come close to the pre-Lateralus days, but it was still acceptable.

Despite what others say, I felt like this was one of Danny's lesser performances. Not to take anything away from him, he's one of the best ever. Tonight he was still better than almost any other drummer I've watched, but he wasn't the Danny Carey I saw last year or even in previous years. His arm is certainly detracting from his speed, recovery time, and power.

The sound of the show was probably the best Tool show I have heard. You could always hear every part (drums, bass, guitar and Maynard). I was 20 feet in front of the mixing console and loved every minute of the performance.

I have been to 5 Tool shows over the last 6 years, but this is the first show I've written a review about since 1998. Last night Tool reminded me why they are my favorite band.

Bravo Tool!

Chad
Old 05-17-2007, 05:21 AM   #15
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/05/16 - Fort Worth, TX - Ft. Worth Convention Center

My 9th show overall, and probably the 2nd best I have ever seen.

The cons of seeing Tool live these days is that you know what the setlist is before you even walk in the door. It's extremely disappointing never to be surprised as to what is coming next. I knew when "Lateralus, Vicarious, Aenema" was coming and frankly, I'm tired of this setlist. You can play Lateralus every show because it's one of the best concert gigs ever, but drop the others occasionally. Vicarious was good, but Maynard didn't sing the best 10 seconds of it and opted to hold out the mic stand to the crowd after yelling "Sing it Texas!"

Some notable Maynardisms:

"Thank you very much, Texas."

"I know you're all drunk, but try not to fuck a relative on the way out."

"Please be careful on your way home tonight. Look out for each other, we want to see you all again in one piece."

Compared to recent shows, apparently that's talkative for MJK these days. I was happy with Maynard's level of enthusiasm. It doesn't even come close to the pre-Lateralus days, but it was still acceptable.

Despite what others say, I felt like this was one of Danny's lesser performances. Not to take anything away from him, he's one of the best ever. Tonight he was still better than almost any other drummer I've watched, but he wasn't the Danny Carey I saw last year or even in previous years. His arm is certainly detracting from his speed, recovery time, and power.

The sound of the show was probably the best Tool show I have heard. You could always hear every part (drums, bass, guitar and Maynard). I was 20 feet in front of the mixing console and loved every minute of the performance.

I have been to 5 Tool shows over the last 6 years, but this is the first show I've written a review about since 1998. Last night Tool reminded me why they are my favorite band.

Bravo Tool!

Chad
OFFLINE |