View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 10:51 PM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/09 - Phoenix, AZ - Cricket Pavilion

My 7th show. Here's the setlist from my memory, I'll feel like a jackass if I am wrong.

Stinkfist
The Pot
46 & 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Lateralus
Vicarious
Ænima
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days

Again, if I am wrong--forgive me.. I am pretty confident though.

Where to begin?

Maynard got a bottle thrown at his head during The Pot. It was a big enough hit that he kick his mic stand off his platform, then he walked off stage. The first thing I thought was, "Well there goes Wings for Marie/10,000 Days." He came back out during the rest of the song and put his ATF jacket and cowboy hat on. Then he just stood there making gestures with his hand. He continued to do this all throughout 46 & 2. The rest of the band played the songs perfectly. He did sing the last chourus on 26 & 2. He finally made an anouncement that the water bottle throwing was pretty bad and people should find a better way to express their lives.

When Lateralus was played is when all the artwork showed up. It was amazing. I little too gaudy from what I am used to them doing, but it was done tastefully. Whoever was operating the lasers was a little off during Lateralus. Seemed like they were still learning how to use them.

He did not sing the "La la la lies" line in Vicarious. Either he's tired of doing it or too much strain on his sick voice.

Before they played Ænima, Maynard said how every time they play in Phoenix they usually play Los Anegeles the night before. Every time they go to Los Angeles he says, he gets sick. I don't know if people can verify him singing differently in the past or not, but tonight I could definately tell he was sick--or something.

The impression was that Ænima was their last song for the night. It bummed me out because I was hoping to hear Wings for Marie/10,000 Days like the the lucky bastards in L.A. During Ænima he sang the "Fuck at your everything, fuck your tattoos..." line three times. It's a possibility I was hearing shit but I am fairly confident it was three. This gave me a cue that there might be more after this song.

They had a small encore, most people around me started to leave but I saw no roadies on stage. So I decided to stay, despite my eagerness to leave to beat traffic. I was disappointed about them not playing "the big one" and I would have been more irritated by the shitty traffic (if the traffic going to the concert was anything to go off of).

Sure enough, they put a stool out for Justin and I knew this was it. Maynard said they would play one more if everyone was good. Side note: during the encore with the band sitting on Maynard's platform--Justin lit his lighter (I didn't know he smoked) and the rest of the pavillion complied. I don't know if he has been doing this alot lately but the effect was nice, especially as to what was to come.

The best rock n' roll performance, nay best performance, I have ever experienced.

They played Wings for Marie/10,000 Days flawlessly. I was amazed as to how they pulled it off. I imagine Justin sitting down is essential.

Over all, again--the show was perfect. There were a few times Adam seemed off, but I love being able to hear his mess ups. As weird as that sounds, it reminds me I am listening to them live and raw--which is a setting that Tool shines best in.

For those of you who went: I hope you all made it home safely and remember to leave your over-bearing testosterone levels at home the next time you go to a show, especially a Tool show.

Last edited by Hendrix; 09-09-2006 at 11:06 PM..
OFFLINE |