View Single Post
Old 10-08-2006, 08:17 AM   #35
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/10/07 - Uniondale, NY - Nassau Coliseum

5th Tool show...1st of this tour

I must say, I may as well have gone to one of those laser shows where they play music in the background, i.e, Tool, pink floyd etc. and been just as happy...and those don't really make me happy.

The Lateralus tour blew this one away IMO. This shit was a spectacle...I found myself not paying attention to the music at times because of how distracted I was by the Lasers and the absolutely rediculous video stage...this isn't what Tool has ever been about and I don't like it as much.

I go to Tool shows to take in the music because I find the lyrics and music meaningful in my life. If I wanted a crazy video/light show I would have just gone to one with the music in the background.

Besides that, the band wasn't tight. I think Adam played awful, and I would venture to say that Danny was tired or something (it was the last leg of the US tour he may have been). They obviously still prove themselves talented, I don't want to say they played completely shitty, Lateralus was more or less perfect and so was the Pot, Stinkfist and Aenima. Every other song Danny was missing beats and threw Adam off, no joke.

But that brings me to another point. I don't think a lot of people cared or noticed any flubbed playing because of all the shit that was coming from the stage. Jambi is one of my favs of 10,000 days and I find myself having trouble remembering the song because of how distracted I was with the videos that encapsulated the entire stage. Like, WTF?

Every band sells out, right? Hooker with a Penis taught us that. But Tool shows have always been solely about the music and last night it wasn't. They were even repeating video clips from one song to a next which is garbage IMO. I didn't walk out of that show feeling one with the band like I have the past 4 times. Maybe I'd be singing a different tune if I saw them when they were playing smaller venues earlier this year, but that's not the case.

I'd give the concert a 7, and thats just because of how excited I was to finally see them again and potentially expected way too much. But truthfully, if anyone was as fortunate as me to see them at Radio City in 2002, that was a template of a 10. This was no Radio City, Lateralus Tour...it makes me sick that I have to compare but I suppose I'm a little let down.
OFFLINE |