View Single Post
ifrigginghatethis
05-05-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat
I've seen two shows so far on the mini tour, and I know this is a warmup, designed to give the band a chance to practice before hitting the world with a huge tour. BUT, here are some things common to the first 3 shows so far:

Maynards voice cracking during more challenging singing parts (Sober, Schism, etc). I have seen him a dozen times before and never once did i hear his voice crack like that, the only time I hear something like that is when *I* try to sing along.

Maynard notably less active onstage. I remember the first time I saw them, I was mezmerized by how he moved to the music. Very unique. Bending over backwards, swaying, etc. Now he seems much more relaxed and un animated. He is talking more than usual though, maybe to compensate?

Singers don't usually hold up over time, think of other great tenors, many of them have had to call it quits before their 50s because the vocal cords just aren't as loose as they once were.

I wish they called it quits after lateralus, it would have been a good way to end. I mean, they have to end it someday. And ending it on Lateralus would have made a good legacy. I think if they continue along the same track as 10k days we're in store for some utter shitwipe albums in the future. Maynard is visibly put out by being with the band. He only spent 12 months making this album -- watch the recent mtv interview. In light of this fact, I'm not surprised by the way the album turned out. That is absolutely no time at all. The other band members deserve way more than that. Personally, I enjoy Maynard's voice, but it's his personality that makes him distinctive--and that doesnt matter for shit when it comes to making music. It would probably be a better idea for the band to go separate ways. Maynard is more interested in making wine than music, and I would hate to see him ruin the band by influencing them to move in a shitty direction.
Old 05-05-2006, 01:32 PM   #49
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 63
Re: Tool getting older

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lestat
I've seen two shows so far on the mini tour, and I know this is a warmup, designed to give the band a chance to practice before hitting the world with a huge tour. BUT, here are some things common to the first 3 shows so far:

Maynards voice cracking during more challenging singing parts (Sober, Schism, etc). I have seen him a dozen times before and never once did i hear his voice crack like that, the only time I hear something like that is when *I* try to sing along.

Maynard notably less active onstage. I remember the first time I saw them, I was mezmerized by how he moved to the music. Very unique. Bending over backwards, swaying, etc. Now he seems much more relaxed and un animated. He is talking more than usual though, maybe to compensate?

Singers don't usually hold up over time, think of other great tenors, many of them have had to call it quits before their 50s because the vocal cords just aren't as loose as they once were.

I wish they called it quits after lateralus, it would have been a good way to end. I mean, they have to end it someday. And ending it on Lateralus would have made a good legacy. I think if they continue along the same track as 10k days we're in store for some utter shitwipe albums in the future. Maynard is visibly put out by being with the band. He only spent 12 months making this album -- watch the recent mtv interview. In light of this fact, I'm not surprised by the way the album turned out. That is absolutely no time at all. The other band members deserve way more than that. Personally, I enjoy Maynard's voice, but it's his personality that makes him distinctive--and that doesnt matter for shit when it comes to making music. It would probably be a better idea for the band to go separate ways. Maynard is more interested in making wine than music, and I would hate to see him ruin the band by influencing them to move in a shitty direction.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote