Thread: Devo "H" Keenan
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2002, 12:53 AM   #22
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Mondo Anarchy definitely has the right approach to interpreting Maynard's lyrics simply because changes his interpretations like underwear. That's not a bad thing; they still have people thinking six years later, huh? The all around interpretation, << I got ya circled, Maynard ;) >> I would guess begins with the almighty REALITY slapping you in the face. You now must look into the mirror and ask yourself if you like what you see. If you do, then good, you can pass it on to others. If you don't, then you can decide to remain the same or it just might be important enough to you to make that change. There was a mention that this song was closely related to Pushit where both experienced an ending of some sort. Those damn relationships, they never seem to work out, huh Maynard? :) (Don't ya just hate it when you loose the seriousness, get the giggles, want to cut up then can't finish the frigging interpretation. I must -- go on. I think I can, I think I can). Ok, back to the serious shit. Now, let's say that Maynard finally decided to get out of this relationship and move on; then, surprise!! There's going to be a bambino. This is where the snake comes in. Faced with the struggle between doing what society perceives as "the right thing," or doing what Maynard feels is the right thing, he had to make probably one of the toughest decisions in his life. But there was no going Baaahk (gotta luv him, it takes an even BIGGER man to do that, and a lot of love for his DevoH). And now time for the piss part; it gets a little disgusting. Long ago, (some people still do it to this day) the people drank their urine for health reasons. Urine is a sterile body compound that, believe it or not, is purer than distilled water. So that would be the society's "right thing," or society's "angel on the shoulder." Wine, on the other hand, drunkens, and impairs you. So when Maynard made the decision he made, it did not meet that of society's, therefore, "he must not be thinking clearly." As a drunk would think, possibly? Hmm. Maynard's "devil on the shoulder," encouraging him to not choose for himself or his unborn son.
Where ever the encouraging or discouraging sources were coming from, they were "totally void of hate." No one had bad intentions, only suggestions. Ah, to hell with it, I'm gonna have to pick up on it some other time, I'm getting tired.

Ok, now I have the giggles again. I just have one thing to say to you James Earl Herbert McLoud Dillinger Mainerd Gaylord C Keenan. Quit slappin' them women around will ya.

Not knockin' any interpretations, just tryin' to straighten the poor boy out.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote