Thread: Devo "H" Keenan
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2002, 12:31 AM   #17
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 4
a few thoughts on H.

just a few thoughts on H.

maybe its just because of my protestant upbringing, but the lines "But what's singing songs is a snake looking to turn this piss to wine. " scream religious symbolism to me. i'm not entire sure who the snake would be to play the role he plays during the rest of the song (hissing from behind and warning of damage), but my first reaction would have to be Lucifer. which either does or doesn't fit when you look at the next section "looking to turn this piss into wine" again in a religious sense. Jesus's first (?) miracle was to turn water into wine at that wedding so the partying coould continue. turning piss into wine is more poignant and would be a much better and more convincing miracle. so perhaps a snake (Lucifer) is trying to convince the speaker that he is more capable of performing miracles and righting the situation than another more popular savior is....?

of course, who is actually singing the songs? Maynard is. so is MJK the devil, looking to turn a bad situation into a good one (or at least convince others that he has)?

The Devo reference works for me overall, but in the lines "Days away I still feel you touching me, changing me, and considerately killing me." it really becomes more clear. "days away" perhaps meaning before the birth, or as the due date is approaching he feels like things are about to become totally different (which is common for new parents, yes?) and he's not sure if they are going to be good or bad, but the person he used to be is no more in the "considerately killing me." it sounds like a mercy killing almost too, "considerately killing"
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote