Thread: Devo "H" Keenan
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2002, 09:50 AM   #11
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
I recall seeing this interpretation onthe old opinions section and it is in fact the best one that I have seen.

The connection to his son is very strong in the lyrics and the concept of both killing him consideretly seems to deal with the idea that we die every moment of everyday. But time spent with this son is time spent doing the right things.

The birth of his son seems to be a time that he has been allowed to look upon his own life and he sees that there are these things in his life that he has not addressed. He still does no know himself anymore then he totally knows his son. The snake may have been used because a reptile does not have obvious ways to show emotion...you cant see happiness or depression on their faces. The child is a way to focus him on searching and finding himself...to turn this piss (the negative and impure...unknown) into wine. Of course neither the snake nor the child wish him any harm and they accompany him through his time in life thus killing him consideratly. In fact on 1 hand the snake is protection and shielding...denying the feelings denying emotion is protection on the other hand a child is an openness and a way to experience parts of oneself not seen before.

Denying feeling, taking the route of the snake is in fact safe and comforting (drags me down like SWEET gravity) it may in fact leave him cracked (flawed) empty but it also makes him immune to damage...if you deny pain a target it cannot be effective. I suppose that a parent could deny their love to the child and in doing so remain seperate from the deeds of that child. If the child makes an error then thats its fault nothing to do with the parent. If the child rejects the parent then it wouldnt matter because the connection had already been denied.

I think feeling this coming over like a storm again refers to the new ability to feel joy again along with all the other emotions that have been held back. Letting it all out. becoming vulnerable again. He's saying that he refuses to become a shell of a man, something that cannot give affection to his son who is sharing these moments with him.He cannot deny the love that is between the 2 of them. The child has given him a chance to become something to perhaps have a relationship with his son that he may not have had with his parents (perhaps the abuse isnt physical or intentional but that instead a defense against emotions....if the parents didnt show their love then their children couldn't hurt them?)
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote