View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #65
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: The patient meaning in my words

Considering I am addicted to crystal meth I could see how this could be interpreted as an addiction related song, but I think that would be a little too bit repetitive for Tool considering stink fist has already been written. Also while being patient, and struggling through addiction are related, its comparing apples to oranges, and seems a little bit unfounded to write an entire song over.

Being patient with addiction is like setting yourself up like a ticking time bomb. Patience is a friend to addiction. Replace patience with acceptance. Lyrics about acceptance could easily be about a drug addiction, while the lyrics with the addiction theme.

I think it is easier to keep it generalized, otherwise it loses purpose to the fan(consider if he replaced the words with whether or not he should lay down his old arthritic feline; it would be dumb), although I am sure Maynard had a specific incident in his own life on his mind. But any listener, before your own relative perception kicks in should be something to exactly how it reads(in my opinion is true for the Tool songs with out a whole bunch of pseudo pop-culture references(astrology is not a secret)) like: Everyone has difficult obstacles in life, where devout people might see them as "tests", we all require help from loved ones, which can be quite draining on them.

Yeah I know religion should be left out, and be considered a perception, but Maynard decided to revisit his olde religious self-struggle(get over it) by placing TEST right there.

As we continue to live through this difficult time we form a decision.

It is easy to be thankful when you are in such turmoil and are haunted by this obstacle, but your loved ones remind you what is best, and all this hardship will be finally overcome.

blah blah, same idea.. more self motivation to be patient and stick to your plan.

It would be so much easier to take the other route; these routes are still totally relative.
but you insist on being patient and seeing this through the way you and you support see's best.

See.. there is no idea hardwired in besides. Some decisions are hard, and there might be easier or more rewarding paths to take, but if you are patient the best one will persevere.

For an example lets think of one many people can relate to. A partner cheating on you.

It would be easy for you to just go up and take your anger out, but it isn't really the best choice. Your friend will tell you to just forget about them and the pain will heal.
This would be the "test" to some, or to others a simple inward glance at what you know is morally right.. We all know what is best, making that decision usually requires PATIENCE!

Last edited by Don't_Need_Validation; 09-25-2011 at 10:31 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote