View Single Post
nembutals
07-02-2010, 08:06 AM

My first time seeing the band perform live, and it was fucking phenomenal. Took my little brother who was just as excited to go as I was. We ended up with great seats right down in the middle, 108 first row.

Dälek sucked, just gonna get that out of the way. I listened to some of their studio material on Youtube before and loved it, and unfortunately none of that really translated well into a live environment. Industrial soundscapes are big components of their music, but there was absolutely no subtlety or dynamic to their set and so all I heard was the same overpowering KRRRRRSSSSSHHHHH for like 30 minutes. The beat never switched up, the vocals got buried in the mix and the only thing I heard was when the guy got pissed at the audience and said ''you motherfuckers don't know real hiphop'' or something like that. Whatever. I try to be courteous to supporting acts but its hard to do when they're boring you to death and giving you a headache. Would have liked to hear Wovenhand instead.

House lights go dark, "think for yourself... question authority" comes on. Timothy Leary's face on the screens behind the stage. Crowd goes nuts. The mix was perfect throughout the whole show. I was expecting it to be terrible if the supporting act was an indication but Maynard's vocals were loud and upfront. And honestly, he sounded fucking fantastic on every single song. Hit every note and sounded really powerful and crystal clear. I was surprised!

Really happy they played Eon Blue Apocalypse & The Patient. I was expecting we would lose those for Intension & Right In Two (which I also would have loved) after the second night of Red Rocks, but I guess that was a special switch up just for them. No complaints from me though.

Funny thing happened in Lateralus, during the part near the end where Adam riffs solo (right before the breakdown where Maynard sings ''with my feet...''). Adam played the 3x riff and then the 4th one cut short like normal, and then the stage lights went dark and everyone was expecting all the instruments to come back in. Dark silence for about 3 seconds. ''Hahaha!'' Maynard laughs at everyone and then the song roars back and the stage lights come back on. I loved that. Was also funny after Dälek came out and guested during the jam, Maynard walked back to his microphone and then had an ''oh shit'' moment, raced down the riser to the stage, grabbed his wine bottle and ran back before his part came on.

Gonna have to agree with the others, the show was incredible but my only complaint would be its not enough. I guess I would have watched them for six hours if it were up to me, but I wish they would kick it up a notch and throw another two or three songs into the setlist. Minus Adam's small fuckup during 46&2 (no big deal) the entire band was in perfect form the whole night. They could have kept that momentum going a little while more. Oh well.

I'm really happy that I got to see them and overall the show still met and then exceeded my expectations. Thanks to Junior too, the light show was incredible.

Last edited by nembutals; 07-02-2010 at 08:11 AM..
Old 07-02-2010, 08:06 AM   #15
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.01.2010 - St. Paul, MN @ Xcel Center

My first time seeing the band perform live, and it was fucking phenomenal. Took my little brother who was just as excited to go as I was. We ended up with great seats right down in the middle, 108 first row.

Dälek sucked, just gonna get that out of the way. I listened to some of their studio material on Youtube before and loved it, and unfortunately none of that really translated well into a live environment. Industrial soundscapes are big components of their music, but there was absolutely no subtlety or dynamic to their set and so all I heard was the same overpowering KRRRRRSSSSSHHHHH for like 30 minutes. The beat never switched up, the vocals got buried in the mix and the only thing I heard was when the guy got pissed at the audience and said ''you motherfuckers don't know real hiphop'' or something like that. Whatever. I try to be courteous to supporting acts but its hard to do when they're boring you to death and giving you a headache. Would have liked to hear Wovenhand instead.

House lights go dark, "think for yourself... question authority" comes on. Timothy Leary's face on the screens behind the stage. Crowd goes nuts. The mix was perfect throughout the whole show. I was expecting it to be terrible if the supporting act was an indication but Maynard's vocals were loud and upfront. And honestly, he sounded fucking fantastic on every single song. Hit every note and sounded really powerful and crystal clear. I was surprised!

Really happy they played Eon Blue Apocalypse & The Patient. I was expecting we would lose those for Intension & Right In Two (which I also would have loved) after the second night of Red Rocks, but I guess that was a special switch up just for them. No complaints from me though.

Funny thing happened in Lateralus, during the part near the end where Adam riffs solo (right before the breakdown where Maynard sings ''with my feet...''). Adam played the 3x riff and then the 4th one cut short like normal, and then the stage lights went dark and everyone was expecting all the instruments to come back in. Dark silence for about 3 seconds. ''Hahaha!'' Maynard laughs at everyone and then the song roars back and the stage lights come back on. I loved that. Was also funny after Dälek came out and guested during the jam, Maynard walked back to his microphone and then had an ''oh shit'' moment, raced down the riser to the stage, grabbed his wine bottle and ran back before his part came on.

Gonna have to agree with the others, the show was incredible but my only complaint would be its not enough. I guess I would have watched them for six hours if it were up to me, but I wish they would kick it up a notch and throw another two or three songs into the setlist. Minus Adam's small fuckup during 46&2 (no big deal) the entire band was in perfect form the whole night. They could have kept that momentum going a little while more. Oh well.

I'm really happy that I got to see them and overall the show still met and then exceeded my expectations. Thanks to Junior too, the light show was incredible.

Last edited by nembutals; 07-02-2010 at 08:11 AM..
OFFLINE |