View Single Post
The Joekenorer
05-26-2007, 02:02 AM

This was my first TOOL show, and I really never listened to them very much besides what the radio played. Although I was quite entertained, this n00b cannot give you a set list. I can tell you Aenema was not on it. Maynard said little and did little. He entered in a hunter orange jacket and a cowboy hat (A joke aimed at rednecks maybe?). Visuals were pretty good, the white stage floor being a genius idea. I was Sec.230 row N, seat 3. A perfect view of all the well orchestrated lighting at their feet and elsewhere. (Particularly awesome effect of flames at the guitarists feet during a solo) Event staff and police were very lax and stayed in their place. The weed began burning throughout the crowd once Kinski finally got off stage (Their last show on the tour). I was already high before I got there, fearing a strict southern search. But there wasn't. I could've gotten anything in I wanted. I'll remember that next time. I have a few gripes.

Maynard has an awesome stage presence, but stayed on the lifter next to the drummer for the entire show, except to playfully toss a bag of pop-corn to the floor crowd and engage in the band hug. I would really love to see him act out in full energy up front. Perhaps he prefers to play down the "lead singer is the band" aura that many leads often fall into quickly. A humbling theory, but I don't like it. Get up front and do that matrixesque balancing shit in the light, I like that.

Blah blah, people standing in front of me suck blah blah.

Living in the southeast makes rock concerts few and far between. Theres a market down here, guys, Closet freaks stuck in southern baptist/methodist homes galore. The kids down here need an outlet, and they're being denied. MORE KICK-ASS BANDS IN THE SOUTH...please. Mobile Civic center just had God-Smack recently and people were overflowing in that place. So many minds left to open, so little time left on earth.

Don't be afraid to pass that joint to the big hairy guy relaxed recliner style on 6 seats. (Cuts my single ticket price 6 ways, $10 a ticket. And comfortable. Until some old, bald guy claims the seat you're supposed to be resting your feet in.)

The show was much better than the "cleaned-up" sound of the albums. There should be a live album. All the little flaws are what make the music real.

As I looked down to the floor, I saw nothing but kids. I was looking forward to an aenema mosh, if it played, but I couldn't picture my 6'4", 320lb body battering and leaving the poor things broken on the floor. They'd make me leave after that for sure. I made due watching the kids mosh instead. There were two pits, not very big, and they pretty much stayed in the same spot for the entire show, with another small one developing for Vicarious. (I saw some chick with big boobs get pissed and start punching a guy in the face. He dissappeared.)

I read in a previous review about people wearing the bands shirt to their concert. Is this just in case somebody mistakes them for someone who doesn't like TOOL? Oh well, who am I to judge, I can't even afford one.

The show was unbelievably great. I wish I knew more of their lyrics so I could tell what Maynard was saying. I understand his voice comes through clearly if you already know them.

I normally like music more than song, but Kinski seems to need lyrics.

If anything I've written here makes you all emotional and angry at me, keep it to yourself. This is my experience and my opinion. I'm sure someone out there KNOWS I'm completely wrong about everything.

Just as we were getting on the interstate on-ramp after the show, I saw someones dark, stretch SUV on a different street being severely herassed by protesters and picketers. I assume this was the band, but am not sure.

Summary: Kinski sucks balls, TOOL kicks balls, the bathroom smelled like balls. Thank you. --Mike Simms--
Old 05-26-2007, 02:02 AM   #2
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/05/25 - Pensacola, FL - Pensacola Civic Center

This was my first TOOL show, and I really never listened to them very much besides what the radio played. Although I was quite entertained, this n00b cannot give you a set list. I can tell you Aenema was not on it. Maynard said little and did little. He entered in a hunter orange jacket and a cowboy hat (A joke aimed at rednecks maybe?). Visuals were pretty good, the white stage floor being a genius idea. I was Sec.230 row N, seat 3. A perfect view of all the well orchestrated lighting at their feet and elsewhere. (Particularly awesome effect of flames at the guitarists feet during a solo) Event staff and police were very lax and stayed in their place. The weed began burning throughout the crowd once Kinski finally got off stage (Their last show on the tour). I was already high before I got there, fearing a strict southern search. But there wasn't. I could've gotten anything in I wanted. I'll remember that next time. I have a few gripes.

Maynard has an awesome stage presence, but stayed on the lifter next to the drummer for the entire show, except to playfully toss a bag of pop-corn to the floor crowd and engage in the band hug. I would really love to see him act out in full energy up front. Perhaps he prefers to play down the "lead singer is the band" aura that many leads often fall into quickly. A humbling theory, but I don't like it. Get up front and do that matrixesque balancing shit in the light, I like that.

Blah blah, people standing in front of me suck blah blah.

Living in the southeast makes rock concerts few and far between. Theres a market down here, guys, Closet freaks stuck in southern baptist/methodist homes galore. The kids down here need an outlet, and they're being denied. MORE KICK-ASS BANDS IN THE SOUTH...please. Mobile Civic center just had God-Smack recently and people were overflowing in that place. So many minds left to open, so little time left on earth.

Don't be afraid to pass that joint to the big hairy guy relaxed recliner style on 6 seats. (Cuts my single ticket price 6 ways, $10 a ticket. And comfortable. Until some old, bald guy claims the seat you're supposed to be resting your feet in.)

The show was much better than the "cleaned-up" sound of the albums. There should be a live album. All the little flaws are what make the music real.

As I looked down to the floor, I saw nothing but kids. I was looking forward to an aenema mosh, if it played, but I couldn't picture my 6'4", 320lb body battering and leaving the poor things broken on the floor. They'd make me leave after that for sure. I made due watching the kids mosh instead. There were two pits, not very big, and they pretty much stayed in the same spot for the entire show, with another small one developing for Vicarious. (I saw some chick with big boobs get pissed and start punching a guy in the face. He dissappeared.)

I read in a previous review about people wearing the bands shirt to their concert. Is this just in case somebody mistakes them for someone who doesn't like TOOL? Oh well, who am I to judge, I can't even afford one.

The show was unbelievably great. I wish I knew more of their lyrics so I could tell what Maynard was saying. I understand his voice comes through clearly if you already know them.

I normally like music more than song, but Kinski seems to need lyrics.

If anything I've written here makes you all emotional and angry at me, keep it to yourself. This is my experience and my opinion. I'm sure someone out there KNOWS I'm completely wrong about everything.

Just as we were getting on the interstate on-ramp after the show, I saw someones dark, stretch SUV on a different street being severely herassed by protesters and picketers. I assume this was the band, but am not sure.

Summary: Kinski sucks balls, TOOL kicks balls, the bathroom smelled like balls. Thank you. --Mike Simms--
OFFLINE |