View Single Post
Old 01-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #13
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 35
Re: 2007/01/21 - Gold Coast, AUS - Parklands

totally awesome show, obviously the best big day out set i've ever seen (been to last five now i think). opiate and sober turned out to be great festival tracks, and i found these as well as the 10000 days stuff to be the most enthusiastically delivered. i started over to the right in front of justin but made my way pretty much to front and centre for aenema (when i wished i'd stayed put due to the aforementioned meathed factor). up the front maynards voice didnt come through as strongly as it might have, but i have been told it was loud and clear back near the sound desk, where i was gonna head after a few tracks but i seemed unable to do anything but get closer. My girlfriend who has always disliked tool admitted that she now kinda likes them, on the strength of the live show's volume and clarity. none can resist.

one complaint is the feeling of being to a tool sampler show, all the singles and well known, catchier songs and a lack of any of the 3 sprawling musical suites which fill the new record, but i accept this was big day out, and it was as awesome as one could reasonably expect. after missing out on aenema last time (brizzy '02) i was psyched to hear it and it didn't dissapoint, rad closer. oh yeah, i dont know if anyone mentioned this but we got the group hug at the end. it soooo looked like they were amping up for an encore (i know, i know).

doesn't beat that entertainment centre gig obviously. one thing i wonder about is how on the lateralus tour they seemed to be showcasing the new record, and the new songs totally dictated not only the playlist but the structure of the show. I get the impression that tool are having trouble integrating the new material with the old to construct a quintessentially '10000 daysey' show but i dunno, i think in nov/dec well get a more directed show.

if anyone has a boot of this show... hookus up, i feel like we got a really special version of opiate, and well, yeah, gotta go... til next time... 'zor