View Single Post
Croma
06-20-2010, 11:34 PM

There were several errors in the previous posts. Let me try to correct them.

First of all, (-) ions was played right before Stinkfist. Yeah I know thats not a biggie, but still.
Second, Maynard did not just run off stage pissed after the show. He made a point to run up and give Justin Chancellor a high five and also acknowledge the other band members before he went offstage.

Maynard said at the Dallas show in 2009 "you know, we read the message boards. What you see tonight maybe the same thing you saw last night, but that was last night, and this is tonight"

They read these message boards, and everything has been changed in order to satiate the BITCHING of the spoiled fans who complained last year. Some of the posts claimed Maynard was going onstage without a shirt to be sexy (I personally think it is because he gets sweaty on stage with all those lights). People also complained (including me) about the sound issues and repeated setlists. Many also felt Maynard was not giving us his all and that the band was going through the motions and just doing it for the money (ummm....yeah. Its kinda their job, I hope they do make money). Many also stated Maynard left the stage early because he was no longer close to his band members or fans.

Well at this show, he addressed all those concerns. He changed his look (yet again) by being fully dressed and wearing a somewhat nerdy visor. The band opened with Third Eye and 2 other more rare songs (The Patient/Intolerance) were included. Maynard was VERY active, parading around the stage, waving his arms, and overall VERY into the music. The sound was PERFECT from any seat. Maynards vocals were clear and could be heard above the instruments. Maynard made a point of acknowledging every band member before leaving the stage. The message was: STOP YOUR BITCHING - TOOL DOES LOVE YOU!

This was a special show. Maynard was OBVIOUSLY acknowledging the oil spill by saying "Today, for the next two hours we're gonna stay in here and PRETEND that everything's OK." and by saying "Everything is going to work out" later on. This was meant to be a cathartic experience for the people of New Orleans. He even emphasized certain words in AEnima that were relevant to the spill by holding out "I'm praying for rain, I'm praying for tidal waves" to cheers.

Also, what was said before Intolerance was specifically "Do you believe in Time Travel? I believe in Time Travel." Maynard pushed himself on Intolerance, he may have struggled to hit a couple high notes, but he hit them and every time he did, the audience went WILD! Anyone who thinks that the crowd was unenthusiastic is smoking crack. That auditorium was LIT UP! Yeah there was no mosh pit, that was a plus, noone is going get crushed, trampled or otherwise. And of course security was strict on video phones and such - TOOL hates for crappy footage to be released of a show that is meant to be experienced in person. I think its awesome they cracked down on phones, not ganj. The crowd was ELECTRIC - I think the band felt it too! They all performed with enthusiasm, and at the end Justin Chancellor was clapping back at the audience, which to me was his approval of us for being a good crowd (unlike several other shows).

Best show since the Lateralus tour, NO Complaints, Tool gave the fans everything they asked for! Now for the next album........

Last edited by Croma; 06-20-2010 at 11:40 PM..
Old 06-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #13
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 06.19.2010 - New Orleans, LA @ UNO Arena

There were several errors in the previous posts. Let me try to correct them.

First of all, (-) ions was played right before Stinkfist. Yeah I know thats not a biggie, but still.
Second, Maynard did not just run off stage pissed after the show. He made a point to run up and give Justin Chancellor a high five and also acknowledge the other band members before he went offstage.

Maynard said at the Dallas show in 2009 "you know, we read the message boards. What you see tonight maybe the same thing you saw last night, but that was last night, and this is tonight"

They read these message boards, and everything has been changed in order to satiate the BITCHING of the spoiled fans who complained last year. Some of the posts claimed Maynard was going onstage without a shirt to be sexy (I personally think it is because he gets sweaty on stage with all those lights). People also complained (including me) about the sound issues and repeated setlists. Many also felt Maynard was not giving us his all and that the band was going through the motions and just doing it for the money (ummm....yeah. Its kinda their job, I hope they do make money). Many also stated Maynard left the stage early because he was no longer close to his band members or fans.

Well at this show, he addressed all those concerns. He changed his look (yet again) by being fully dressed and wearing a somewhat nerdy visor. The band opened with Third Eye and 2 other more rare songs (The Patient/Intolerance) were included. Maynard was VERY active, parading around the stage, waving his arms, and overall VERY into the music. The sound was PERFECT from any seat. Maynards vocals were clear and could be heard above the instruments. Maynard made a point of acknowledging every band member before leaving the stage. The message was: STOP YOUR BITCHING - TOOL DOES LOVE YOU!

This was a special show. Maynard was OBVIOUSLY acknowledging the oil spill by saying "Today, for the next two hours we're gonna stay in here and PRETEND that everything's OK." and by saying "Everything is going to work out" later on. This was meant to be a cathartic experience for the people of New Orleans. He even emphasized certain words in AEnima that were relevant to the spill by holding out "I'm praying for rain, I'm praying for tidal waves" to cheers.

Also, what was said before Intolerance was specifically "Do you believe in Time Travel? I believe in Time Travel." Maynard pushed himself on Intolerance, he may have struggled to hit a couple high notes, but he hit them and every time he did, the audience went WILD! Anyone who thinks that the crowd was unenthusiastic is smoking crack. That auditorium was LIT UP! Yeah there was no mosh pit, that was a plus, noone is going get crushed, trampled or otherwise. And of course security was strict on video phones and such - TOOL hates for crappy footage to be released of a show that is meant to be experienced in person. I think its awesome they cracked down on phones, not ganj. The crowd was ELECTRIC - I think the band felt it too! They all performed with enthusiasm, and at the end Justin Chancellor was clapping back at the audience, which to me was his approval of us for being a good crowd (unlike several other shows).

Best show since the Lateralus tour, NO Complaints, Tool gave the fans everything they asked for! Now for the next album........

Last edited by Croma; 06-20-2010 at 11:40 PM..
OFFLINE |