View Single Post
Otto Mustaine
07-29-2009, 08:00 PM

First of all, Danny Carey is a fucking great drummer. And I guess that makes up for the fact that he wore a University of Kansas basketball jersey in Tar Heel country. Danny, Adam and Justin rocked their asses off. But where was Maynard? He wore all black, stood at the back of the stage next to Danny's kit, had his back turned to the audience 95% of the time and had almost zero interaction with the audience. And his vocals really got lost in the mix. But that could be that the acoustics in Bojangles Coliseum aren't great. Also, the stage lights were never pointed at Maynard. Which tells me that the whole black garb, back of stage, etc... is an artistic decision to kind of disappear. Fine. So Maynard gave as little of Maynard as was possible. By contrast, when Lateralus ended and the roadies were taking the Tweak Bird drummer's kit off the stage, Justin helped them. Who would you rather hang out with? Maynard or Justin? And Justin seemed to have a beer stashed in every corner of the stage. Everywhere he went on stage there was a beer waiting for him. I need to learn how to arrange my little world that way. Overall, despite all my bitching about Maynard, it was a great show. I just wish Maynard would make an artistic decision to reappear and give his fans some love.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.29.09 - Charlotte, NC @ Bojangle's Coliseum

First of all, Danny Carey is a fucking great drummer. And I guess that makes up for the fact that he wore a University of Kansas basketball jersey in Tar Heel country. Danny, Adam and Justin rocked their asses off. But where was Maynard? He wore all black, stood at the back of the stage next to Danny's kit, had his back turned to the audience 95% of the time and had almost zero interaction with the audience. And his vocals really got lost in the mix. But that could be that the acoustics in Bojangles Coliseum aren't great. Also, the stage lights were never pointed at Maynard. Which tells me that the whole black garb, back of stage, etc... is an artistic decision to kind of disappear. Fine. So Maynard gave as little of Maynard as was possible. By contrast, when Lateralus ended and the roadies were taking the Tweak Bird drummer's kit off the stage, Justin helped them. Who would you rather hang out with? Maynard or Justin? And Justin seemed to have a beer stashed in every corner of the stage. Everywhere he went on stage there was a beer waiting for him. I need to learn how to arrange my little world that way. Overall, despite all my bitching about Maynard, it was a great show. I just wish Maynard would make an artistic decision to reappear and give his fans some love.
OFFLINE |