View Single Post
drawesome
07-29-2009, 09:49 AM

3rd show in Salt Lake City 4th show all together 1st at Energy Solutions Arena. For those who aren't familiar w/ our bldgs The ESA is our biggest indoor arena where our Jazz basketball team plays. It goes deep in the ground and stacks patrons up so the audience is loud as hell but as you've surely read can be a nuisance hearing for concerts. I didn't really notice a difference in sound from when they played in our smaller venue in '06 & '07. I definitely noticed a difference from when they played outdoors at Mile High Fest the day before which should be obvious yes? If you read my '06 review I suggest TOOL play at ESA so more of us can attend. I am glad they did because it was glorious. It was a lot easier getting inside this time since they have multiple entrances although they had no reentry so I had to stick my posters in a cup holder.
Tweak Bird was a surprise opener. TB has Geddy Lee vocals and a drummer that smashed the shit out of his drums. I bot their CD but was disappointed their shirts were same price as TOOLs. I would've bot but $40 for a band no one has heard of c'mon.
I told my brother that TOOL played a short set in Denver the night before but tonight's would no doubt be longer...oh well. I am just so thrilled to see them live. I wasn't bothered that it was short. Yes I would love more but I'll take whatever I can get. I do so much missionary work trying to get new recruits to come to their shows I might as well put together some tracts to hand out like folks at Temple Square. Despite my efforts only one newcomer came. She said after that she expected more after all she's heard but was overall pleased. A few years back her brother's friend was dying from a blood disease (young guy whose own twin bro died of same disease few years before) and the last thing he wanted to do before he died was to see TOOL once more with all his friends. They used to follow TOOL around for their west coast shows and this time caught em in Vegas 2007. Supposedly her brother cont TOOLs people to tell them and they got em great tickets. He died 2 weeks later. His dying wish was to see TOOL once more! That's how important these guys are and that's how special their shows are. Maybe she was semi-bummed after a story like that but I was giddy as fuck.
I searched internet for a specific section and got best I could. I saw em in fest setting which was amazing but I like having a seat to rest, bathrooms and drinks nearby, no one hitting me in face, and a nice exit after. I have a friend who wouldnt go to this show because the GA floor seats sold out 1st day and as he put it "I am not sitting at a god damn TOOL show this isn't some KISS concert." Hmmm kind of a good point I suppose but his loss nevertheless. 2nd section from stage and one of the lower rows up I forget #. 10k Days tours I went for closet to stage higher up but since it's such a visual feast sitting a bit back from stage but making sure to get lower to floor is prime IMO. The whole show was a mind fuck I was so alive!
Mr MJK has a clip on youtube speaking about why they don't like filming their concerts because the energy at a live show cannot be duplicated. Tis true although I don't think it would keep kids from going but actually motivate them to go. Plus it would give us who have seen em a nice way to reflect and relive the experience. Maynard spoke more to us this night than his last two shows combined. He greeted us with a "good evening Salt Fucken Lake!" He did ask us to do the open palm to back of arena and calmly say "welcome home." Maybe he was screwing w/ us but I took it serious. Later before Lateralus he spoke of being in the moment & something about not worrying about future or dwelling on past (?) but knowing we were alive right now in 2009 here together and to enjoy it. Enjoy it I did.
No encore but JC AJ & DC hugged and came to stage front to suck it in. We sent them a wave of energy and they basked in it. I get chills reliving it in my mind. Such magnificent artists. It would be my dying wish as well.

Last edited by drawesome; 07-29-2009 at 09:59 AM..
Old 07-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.19.09 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Energy Solutions

3rd show in Salt Lake City 4th show all together 1st at Energy Solutions Arena. For those who aren't familiar w/ our bldgs The ESA is our biggest indoor arena where our Jazz basketball team plays. It goes deep in the ground and stacks patrons up so the audience is loud as hell but as you've surely read can be a nuisance hearing for concerts. I didn't really notice a difference in sound from when they played in our smaller venue in '06 & '07. I definitely noticed a difference from when they played outdoors at Mile High Fest the day before which should be obvious yes? If you read my '06 review I suggest TOOL play at ESA so more of us can attend. I am glad they did because it was glorious. It was a lot easier getting inside this time since they have multiple entrances although they had no reentry so I had to stick my posters in a cup holder.
Tweak Bird was a surprise opener. TB has Geddy Lee vocals and a drummer that smashed the shit out of his drums. I bot their CD but was disappointed their shirts were same price as TOOLs. I would've bot but $40 for a band no one has heard of c'mon.
I told my brother that TOOL played a short set in Denver the night before but tonight's would no doubt be longer...oh well. I am just so thrilled to see them live. I wasn't bothered that it was short. Yes I would love more but I'll take whatever I can get. I do so much missionary work trying to get new recruits to come to their shows I might as well put together some tracts to hand out like folks at Temple Square. Despite my efforts only one newcomer came. She said after that she expected more after all she's heard but was overall pleased. A few years back her brother's friend was dying from a blood disease (young guy whose own twin bro died of same disease few years before) and the last thing he wanted to do before he died was to see TOOL once more with all his friends. They used to follow TOOL around for their west coast shows and this time caught em in Vegas 2007. Supposedly her brother cont TOOLs people to tell them and they got em great tickets. He died 2 weeks later. His dying wish was to see TOOL once more! That's how important these guys are and that's how special their shows are. Maybe she was semi-bummed after a story like that but I was giddy as fuck.
I searched internet for a specific section and got best I could. I saw em in fest setting which was amazing but I like having a seat to rest, bathrooms and drinks nearby, no one hitting me in face, and a nice exit after. I have a friend who wouldnt go to this show because the GA floor seats sold out 1st day and as he put it "I am not sitting at a god damn TOOL show this isn't some KISS concert." Hmmm kind of a good point I suppose but his loss nevertheless. 2nd section from stage and one of the lower rows up I forget #. 10k Days tours I went for closet to stage higher up but since it's such a visual feast sitting a bit back from stage but making sure to get lower to floor is prime IMO. The whole show was a mind fuck I was so alive!
Mr MJK has a clip on youtube speaking about why they don't like filming their concerts because the energy at a live show cannot be duplicated. Tis true although I don't think it would keep kids from going but actually motivate them to go. Plus it would give us who have seen em a nice way to reflect and relive the experience. Maynard spoke more to us this night than his last two shows combined. He greeted us with a "good evening Salt Fucken Lake!" He did ask us to do the open palm to back of arena and calmly say "welcome home." Maybe he was screwing w/ us but I took it serious. Later before Lateralus he spoke of being in the moment & something about not worrying about future or dwelling on past (?) but knowing we were alive right now in 2009 here together and to enjoy it. Enjoy it I did.
No encore but JC AJ & DC hugged and came to stage front to suck it in. We sent them a wave of energy and they basked in it. I get chills reliving it in my mind. Such magnificent artists. It would be my dying wish as well.

Last edited by drawesome; 07-29-2009 at 09:59 AM..
OFFLINE |