Thread: New Tool Album
View Single Post
bogsnarth's Avatar bogsnarth
09-27-2016, 01:04 PM

mastering is probably the longest part of putting together an album.. the recording is just a matter of getting a few good takes, while the mastering involves layering all the individual takes into whole songs.. i mean technically that's "mixing" but i'm pretty sure they are using mastering as a catch-all for the stuff that happens after the recording. just like everything after the filming of a movie is referred to as "post-production." and just like with movies, the post-production stage of music can take a lot longer than the recording, depending on a number of factors.

obviously tool are well known for taking a long time in the studio, so it might not apply to them as much as other bands, but just hearing "it's in the mastering stage" doesn't mean it's right around the corner.

then again, it would be pretty awesome of them to just drop it out of nowhere before the end of the year, after all these teases and hints that we might be waiting a while.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:04 PM   #1602
john dough

Bincount™: 13353
Re: New Tool Album

mastering is probably the longest part of putting together an album.. the recording is just a matter of getting a few good takes, while the mastering involves layering all the individual takes into whole songs.. i mean technically that's "mixing" but i'm pretty sure they are using mastering as a catch-all for the stuff that happens after the recording. just like everything after the filming of a movie is referred to as "post-production." and just like with movies, the post-production stage of music can take a lot longer than the recording, depending on a number of factors.

obviously tool are well known for taking a long time in the studio, so it might not apply to them as much as other bands, but just hearing "it's in the mastering stage" doesn't mean it's right around the corner.

then again, it would be pretty awesome of them to just drop it out of nowhere before the end of the year, after all these teases and hints that we might be waiting a while.