Today, I am a seed in dark soil
Waiting for the touch of spring.
Then, without MY breathing
There shall be soft breathing.
Then, without even a head of my own
There will be seeing everywhere.

- Rumi

Fix your eyes on God and do not talk about what is invisible,
So that he may place another look in your eyes.
It is in the vision of the physical eyes
That no invisible or secret thing exists.
But when the eye is turned toward the Light of God
What thing could remain hidden under such a Light?
Although all lights emanate from the Divine Light
Don't call all these lights "the Light of God";
It is the eternal light which is the Light of God,
The ephemeral light is an attribute of the body and the flesh.
...Oh God who gives the grace of vision!
The bird of vision is flying towards You with the wings of desire.
(Mystic Odes 833)

- Rumi

+

The Eye of Spirit Versus the Eye of Matter

The basic difference in the points of view of science and Theosophy lies in the fact that science endeavors to prove with the eye of matter that which can only be perceived with the eye of spirit. It is ever the inner man who is the eternal witness, the Great Sifter, the changeless center. It is the center that establishes the relationship and determines the value of all peripheral objects. The shifting, the changeable, the evanescent, the illusive; these can never throw any light upon the Real and the Eternal; and yet this is the tantalizing task that science sets before itself. The mystery of life keeps ever receding for those who would approach it via its endless and labyrinthian emanations. Life can never be known from the outside.

- Helena Blavatsky

+

The great and secret message of the experiential mystics the world over is that, with the eye of contemplation, Spirit can be seen. With the eye of contemplation, the great Within radiantly unfolds. And in all cases, the eye with which you see God is the same eye with which God sees you: the eye of contemplation.

- Ken Wilbur

If you remain in the eye of Spirit, every object is an object of radiant Beauty. If the doors of perception are cleansed, the entire Kosmos is your lost and found Beloved, the Original Face of primordial Beauty, forever,and forever, and endlessly forever.

- Ken Wilbur

+

I entered and beheld with the Eye of my Soul, above the same eye of my soul and above my mind, the Light Unchangeable-not this common light, which shines for all flesh; nor as it were a greater of the same kind, as though the brightness of this should shine out more and more brightly and with its greatness take up all space. Not such was this light, but different, yea, far different from all these. Nor was it above my soul as oil is above water, nor yet as the sky is above the earth; but it was above me because it made me, and I was below it because I was made by it. He that knoweth the Truth, knoweth that Light; and he that knoweth it, knoweth Eternity.

- The Confessions of St. Augustine

+

Knowing the anguish of his heart, Krishna replied, "Arjuna! I shall certainly satisfy you. But your physical eyes cannot see that Glory. The vis'varūpa cannot be perceived by the limited vision that sees and grasps only this nature. Therefore, I shall confer on you the supernatural eye. Now, see!," He said and manifested Himself before him as creation and more. What great Mercy! What superb experience!
Gītā Vahini, pp. 173-4

Commentary by Satya Sai Baba:
Through this eye of wisdom, Arjuna realized that the entire creation was contained in the divine vision. He realized that all living beings - human as well as animal and insect - were part of this vision. He realized that Krishna was responsible for all creation. He perceived that Krishna was present in every minute particle. Arjuna closed his eyes and the divine vision was there in all directions.

To acquire the awareness of the divine one need not journey to any special region or place. It is enough if the eye is turned inwards. In the Bhagavad Gītā, the inner reality, the ātmā is described as "splendrous like a billion suns". But, man has not become aware of the light and power within; he still flounders in the darkness of ignorance.

+

From Chapter VI, God Talks With Arjuna:The Bhagavad Gita
by Paramahansa Yogananda:

PENETRATING THE SPIRITUAL EYE

When the yogi concentrates long enough with half-open eyes at the point between the eyebrows, and when the gaze is without any restless motion, he will be able to see a steady light surrounded by other, but flickering, lights. He should not be diverted by this glimmering halo of the spiritual eye, but should steadfastly look at the center of the eye until he feels his mind completely absorbed within it. In time, he will see the perfect formation of the spiritual eye: a dark opal-blue globe within a quivering ring of flame. Gradually, by deep concentration, an extremely brilliant white star occasionally glimmers in the center of the blue. The star is the gateway through which the consciousness must pass to attain oneness with Spirit.

It requires time and calm practice to steady the light of the intuitive astral eye. It takes deeper and longer practice to see the star. It requires greater realization to hold the perception of the star. And it takes mastery in meditation to march the consciousness, valiantly triumphant, through the starry gate of light.

After the devotee is able at will to see his astral eye of light and intuition with either closed or open eyes, and to hold it steady indefinitely, he will eventually attain the power to look through it into Eternity; and through the starry gateway he will sail into Omnipresence. Progression through the spiritual eye, experienced by advancing yogis, unfolds first the wondrous perceptions of superconsciousness, the region of rays of light out of which all matter evolves. The creative cosmic rays hide like veils the presence of the immanent universal Christ-Krishna Consciousness, the Lord omnipresent in creation. By deeper concentration and meditation, the spiritual eye of intuition opens, and through the wisdom star the yogi becomes united to the Christ-Krishna Omnipresence; and thence, in deepest ecstasy, he reaches the Cosmic Consciousness of Spirit.

Be not satisfied with anything less than Spirit and the bliss of Spirit. Pay no attention to variations of the inner light, but practice concentration on the light of the spiritual eye. The light of the eye must be used only to look for God, the One whose presence is hidden on the throne of light.

+

Use the light that is in you to revert to your natural clearness of sight.
- Lao Tzu

+

When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean.
- Lin Chi

+

The jewel center of interest is the eye within the eye.
#16 of 30 Essentials for Belief & Technique for Modern Prose, Jack Kerouac

+

i
never
guessed any
thing(even a
universe)might be
so not quite believab
ly smallest as perfect this
(almost invisible where of a there of a)here of a
rubythroat's home with its still
ness which really's herself
(and to think that she's
warming three worlds)
who's ama
zingly
Eye

- e. e. cummings
Old 11-08-2011, 05:12 AM   #67
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 13
Re: The Eye

Today, I am a seed in dark soil
Waiting for the touch of spring.
Then, without MY breathing
There shall be soft breathing.
Then, without even a head of my own
There will be seeing everywhere.

- Rumi

Fix your eyes on God and do not talk about what is invisible,
So that he may place another look in your eyes.
It is in the vision of the physical eyes
That no invisible or secret thing exists.
But when the eye is turned toward the Light of God
What thing could remain hidden under such a Light?
Although all lights emanate from the Divine Light
Don't call all these lights "the Light of God";
It is the eternal light which is the Light of God,
The ephemeral light is an attribute of the body and the flesh.
...Oh God who gives the grace of vision!
The bird of vision is flying towards You with the wings of desire.
(Mystic Odes 833)

- Rumi

+

The Eye of Spirit Versus the Eye of Matter

The basic difference in the points of view of science and Theosophy lies in the fact that science endeavors to prove with the eye of matter that which can only be perceived with the eye of spirit. It is ever the inner man who is the eternal witness, the Great Sifter, the changeless center. It is the center that establishes the relationship and determines the value of all peripheral objects. The shifting, the changeable, the evanescent, the illusive; these can never throw any light upon the Real and the Eternal; and yet this is the tantalizing task that science sets before itself. The mystery of life keeps ever receding for those who would approach it via its endless and labyrinthian emanations. Life can never be known from the outside.

- Helena Blavatsky

+

The great and secret message of the experiential mystics the world over is that, with the eye of contemplation, Spirit can be seen. With the eye of contemplation, the great Within radiantly unfolds. And in all cases, the eye with which you see God is the same eye with which God sees you: the eye of contemplation.

- Ken Wilbur

If you remain in the eye of Spirit, every object is an object of radiant Beauty. If the doors of perception are cleansed, the entire Kosmos is your lost and found Beloved, the Original Face of primordial Beauty, forever,and forever, and endlessly forever.

- Ken Wilbur

+

I entered and beheld with the Eye of my Soul, above the same eye of my soul and above my mind, the Light Unchangeable-not this common light, which shines for all flesh; nor as it were a greater of the same kind, as though the brightness of this should shine out more and more brightly and with its greatness take up all space. Not such was this light, but different, yea, far different from all these. Nor was it above my soul as oil is above water, nor yet as the sky is above the earth; but it was above me because it made me, and I was below it because I was made by it. He that knoweth the Truth, knoweth that Light; and he that knoweth it, knoweth Eternity.

- The Confessions of St. Augustine

+

Knowing the anguish of his heart, Krishna replied, "Arjuna! I shall certainly satisfy you. But your physical eyes cannot see that Glory. The vis'varūpa cannot be perceived by the limited vision that sees and grasps only this nature. Therefore, I shall confer on you the supernatural eye. Now, see!," He said and manifested Himself before him as creation and more. What great Mercy! What superb experience!
Gītā Vahini, pp. 173-4

Commentary by Satya Sai Baba:
Through this eye of wisdom, Arjuna realized that the entire creation was contained in the divine vision. He realized that all living beings - human as well as animal and insect - were part of this vision. He realized that Krishna was responsible for all creation. He perceived that Krishna was present in every minute particle. Arjuna closed his eyes and the divine vision was there in all directions.

To acquire the awareness of the divine one need not journey to any special region or place. It is enough if the eye is turned inwards. In the Bhagavad Gītā, the inner reality, the ātmā is described as "splendrous like a billion suns". But, man has not become aware of the light and power within; he still flounders in the darkness of ignorance.

+

From Chapter VI, God Talks With Arjuna:The Bhagavad Gita
by Paramahansa Yogananda:

PENETRATING THE SPIRITUAL EYE

When the yogi concentrates long enough with half-open eyes at the point between the eyebrows, and when the gaze is without any restless motion, he will be able to see a steady light surrounded by other, but flickering, lights. He should not be diverted by this glimmering halo of the spiritual eye, but should steadfastly look at the center of the eye until he feels his mind completely absorbed within it. In time, he will see the perfect formation of the spiritual eye: a dark opal-blue globe within a quivering ring of flame. Gradually, by deep concentration, an extremely brilliant white star occasionally glimmers in the center of the blue. The star is the gateway through which the consciousness must pass to attain oneness with Spirit.

It requires time and calm practice to steady the light of the intuitive astral eye. It takes deeper and longer practice to see the star. It requires greater realization to hold the perception of the star. And it takes mastery in meditation to march the consciousness, valiantly triumphant, through the starry gate of light.

After the devotee is able at will to see his astral eye of light and intuition with either closed or open eyes, and to hold it steady indefinitely, he will eventually attain the power to look through it into Eternity; and through the starry gateway he will sail into Omnipresence. Progression through the spiritual eye, experienced by advancing yogis, unfolds first the wondrous perceptions of superconsciousness, the region of rays of light out of which all matter evolves. The creative cosmic rays hide like veils the presence of the immanent universal Christ-Krishna Consciousness, the Lord omnipresent in creation. By deeper concentration and meditation, the spiritual eye of intuition opens, and through the wisdom star the yogi becomes united to the Christ-Krishna Omnipresence; and thence, in deepest ecstasy, he reaches the Cosmic Consciousness of Spirit.

Be not satisfied with anything less than Spirit and the bliss of Spirit. Pay no attention to variations of the inner light, but practice concentration on the light of the spiritual eye. The light of the eye must be used only to look for God, the One whose presence is hidden on the throne of light.

+

Use the light that is in you to revert to your natural clearness of sight.
- Lao Tzu

+

When hungry, eat your rice; when tired, close your eyes. Fools may laugh at me, but wise men will know what I mean.
- Lin Chi

+

The jewel center of interest is the eye within the eye.
#16 of 30 Essentials for Belief & Technique for Modern Prose, Jack Kerouac

+

i
never
guessed any
thing(even a
universe)might be
so not quite believab
ly smallest as perfect this
(almost invisible where of a there of a)here of a
rubythroat's home with its still
ness which really's herself