View Single Post
nusense
07-29-2009, 10:00 AM

First... to satiate the naysayers, YES, it would be amazing and excellent if Tool would switch up the setlist, either radically or just a bit. And yes, on this night Maynard was clearly not in the greatest of spirits. As Junior mentioned above, there was an unusual amount of flash photography going on, and we all know how Maynard feels/reacts to that. However, that said and acknowledged...

The boys were fucking on point Monday night. They have consistently tightened up these songs since they've been touring. Little flourishes were all over the place, particularly with Maynard's vocals. I LOVED the new notes he hit (in damn near every song). Aside from sections that he just flat out didn't sing (namely the beginning of Ænema, ending of Vicarious), this was one of the better sounding vocal performances I've heard him give.

At this point, it's probably worth noting that I was blessed with a seat in the middle of Section 100, RIGHT in the middle of the stage and a little closer to the floor. Basically... right in the sweetspot sound-wise as far as seats go.

As I stated earlier, the visuals and lighting have been stepped up tenfold, in my opinion. That is, I suppose, one of the benefits to an unwavering setlist. The production and performance has been tweaked and built to a whole new pinnacle with this tour, and for that reason (as well as just loving every piece of music these guys have ever written), I was more than happy to sit through the same basic setlist.

I did like the placement of Ænema right before the Intermission. Made it feel like an actual encore (for those that are into that sort of thing), and was a good place to break up the set.

The absolute highlight of the night had to be Rossetta Stoned, personally. Since the beginning of the 10K Days tours that has been where the set/show really switches into high gear and starts to go "balls out." But they've really taken that to a whole new level. The "lights out"/green squiggly cue was phenomenal before, but with the addition of the lasers, it's one of the coolest moments I've ever seen (live music wise).

Not sure if you get the effect from the floor, but from where I was (dead center and slightly above the floor), if felt as if this huuuuuuge wall of green ectoplasm (or laser beam if you want to be simplistic) was slamming down from the ceiling onto your head, threatening to smack you, repeatedly, all in sync with that wonderful music. And then again, when it switches gears to the next tribally bit and the lasers go all "jagged"... jesus. Just perfection.

I'm reminded of a quote... "What became of subtlety?"

Indeed. Sure, this was the same basic set from last go 'round. But there were subtle additions all over the place that made my jaw hit the floor. I understand that many fans have no need for subtleties and need drastic changes. Ambient/Synth interludes don't do shit for some people.

But for this geek of all things synth/psychedelia/tech/gear/visual related, this show was a mindfuck like no other. (and I was dead sober, in case you're wondering)

The new Lost Keys intro (with Tim Leary samples?) was un-fucking-real. Some may say "who gives a shit," but the atmosphere created by that mind-blowing masterpiece of mood and synth/sound manipulation was worth the price of admission alone. So awesome.

Ditto that for the new Intermission. I know many people, once again, couldn't care less. But for me, the visuals + the sound were amazing during this. Junior: big props on the lighting for this section of the show. I love those new fixtures (with some super bright LED's I imagine?). Forget what they are, Showco's? I remember someone linking me to them once... I'm no lighting expert though. Whatever they were, they looked amazing, as they did in 2007.

New Lateralus visuals were nuts. The drum off with Tweak Bird's drummer (Ashton?) was really tight. One of the better extended Lateralus' I've seen. Also LOVED Justin playing those extra notes/chords at the end. The only other Lateralus's I've enjoyed more were w/ Kinski in Pensacola in 07, and Danny just going at it solo in Orlando 07.

In many ways, this was the best show I've seen on all of the 10K Days tours. In others, not so much. But, there are always highs and lows. Still a phenomenal performance from both band and crew.

ETA: If Maynard hadn't gotten so pissed of, and they would've just added one more song (ESPECIALLY this new cover, but even The Pot would've sufficed)... this would've been my top show of all the 10K Days tours, and that's saying A LOT.

Last edited by nusense; 07-29-2009 at 10:10 AM..
Old 07-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #73
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.27.09 - Duluth, GA @ Gwinnett Arena

First... to satiate the naysayers, YES, it would be amazing and excellent if Tool would switch up the setlist, either radically or just a bit. And yes, on this night Maynard was clearly not in the greatest of spirits. As Junior mentioned above, there was an unusual amount of flash photography going on, and we all know how Maynard feels/reacts to that. However, that said and acknowledged...

The boys were fucking on point Monday night. They have consistently tightened up these songs since they've been touring. Little flourishes were all over the place, particularly with Maynard's vocals. I LOVED the new notes he hit (in damn near every song). Aside from sections that he just flat out didn't sing (namely the beginning of Ænema, ending of Vicarious), this was one of the better sounding vocal performances I've heard him give.

At this point, it's probably worth noting that I was blessed with a seat in the middle of Section 100, RIGHT in the middle of the stage and a little closer to the floor. Basically... right in the sweetspot sound-wise as far as seats go.

As I stated earlier, the visuals and lighting have been stepped up tenfold, in my opinion. That is, I suppose, one of the benefits to an unwavering setlist. The production and performance has been tweaked and built to a whole new pinnacle with this tour, and for that reason (as well as just loving every piece of music these guys have ever written), I was more than happy to sit through the same basic setlist.

I did like the placement of Ænema right before the Intermission. Made it feel like an actual encore (for those that are into that sort of thing), and was a good place to break up the set.

The absolute highlight of the night had to be Rossetta Stoned, personally. Since the beginning of the 10K Days tours that has been where the set/show really switches into high gear and starts to go "balls out." But they've really taken that to a whole new level. The "lights out"/green squiggly cue was phenomenal before, but with the addition of the lasers, it's one of the coolest moments I've ever seen (live music wise).

Not sure if you get the effect from the floor, but from where I was (dead center and slightly above the floor), if felt as if this huuuuuuge wall of green ectoplasm (or laser beam if you want to be simplistic) was slamming down from the ceiling onto your head, threatening to smack you, repeatedly, all in sync with that wonderful music. And then again, when it switches gears to the next tribally bit and the lasers go all "jagged"... jesus. Just perfection.

I'm reminded of a quote... "What became of subtlety?"

Indeed. Sure, this was the same basic set from last go 'round. But there were subtle additions all over the place that made my jaw hit the floor. I understand that many fans have no need for subtleties and need drastic changes. Ambient/Synth interludes don't do shit for some people.

But for this geek of all things synth/psychedelia/tech/gear/visual related, this show was a mindfuck like no other. (and I was dead sober, in case you're wondering)

The new Lost Keys intro (with Tim Leary samples?) was un-fucking-real. Some may say "who gives a shit," but the atmosphere created by that mind-blowing masterpiece of mood and synth/sound manipulation was worth the price of admission alone. So awesome.

Ditto that for the new Intermission. I know many people, once again, couldn't care less. But for me, the visuals + the sound were amazing during this. Junior: big props on the lighting for this section of the show. I love those new fixtures (with some super bright LED's I imagine?). Forget what they are, Showco's? I remember someone linking me to them once... I'm no lighting expert though. Whatever they were, they looked amazing, as they did in 2007.

New Lateralus visuals were nuts. The drum off with Tweak Bird's drummer (Ashton?) was really tight. One of the better extended Lateralus' I've seen. Also LOVED Justin playing those extra notes/chords at the end. The only other Lateralus's I've enjoyed more were w/ Kinski in Pensacola in 07, and Danny just going at it solo in Orlando 07.

In many ways, this was the best show I've seen on all of the 10K Days tours. In others, not so much. But, there are always highs and lows. Still a phenomenal performance from both band and crew.

ETA: If Maynard hadn't gotten so pissed of, and they would've just added one more song (ESPECIALLY this new cover, but even The Pot would've sufficed)... this would've been my top show of all the 10K Days tours, and that's saying A LOT.

Last edited by nusense; 07-29-2009 at 10:10 AM..
OFFLINE |