Thread: The Eye
View Single Post
Kody27
06-07-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esurient4Truth View Post
Tool is starting to make me feel like they're using the eye too much. Sure, it's an essential piece in what they do, however, they staple it on everything. For such a religious and symbolic icon, they plaster it all over their artwork as though "it's just artwork," rather than using it more subtly. I think they're kind of killing it by overuse. Even though Alex Grey is responsible for the flaming eyes the net being, it's Tool's creation circa Aenima. In Lateralus and Aenima, the use of the eyes was subtle: it blended in and conveyed the point they were trying to accomplish.

However, in 10,000 days, it's become more of a nuisance. Look at the Vicarious video - the use of the eyes is too cliche. Upon trying to tell this message of vast importance, they reuse the "eye" so much that in the end, I feel instead of being a symbol of importance, it's just become a band logo.

But this is the downfall though. Once you start using it for everything all the time, it's meaning gets lost in translation. If the video maybe showed the eye once or twice at critical moments, the video would have been better, and the "eye" would have been exemplified as higher importance.
I think the eye thing is still subtle even though it's everywhere. Because it's not saying anything in specific other than, be more conscious. Depending on what the eye is on and when it comes into play regarding the rest of, say the vicarious video for example, it has slightly different meanings. I mean to me, Tool are truth seekers, they seek truth with they're music, using mathematics and universal laws for lyrics. They seek truth in their visual art, the only true thing about anything visual is that eyes are used to see it. Everything to them must contain a dab of truth to it.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:54 PM   #58
On Probation

Bincount™: 7
Re: The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esurient4Truth View Post
Tool is starting to make me feel like they're using the eye too much. Sure, it's an essential piece in what they do, however, they staple it on everything. For such a religious and symbolic icon, they plaster it all over their artwork as though "it's just artwork," rather than using it more subtly. I think they're kind of killing it by overuse. Even though Alex Grey is responsible for the flaming eyes the net being, it's Tool's creation circa Aenima. In Lateralus and Aenima, the use of the eyes was subtle: it blended in and conveyed the point they were trying to accomplish.

However, in 10,000 days, it's become more of a nuisance. Look at the Vicarious video - the use of the eyes is too cliche. Upon trying to tell this message of vast importance, they reuse the "eye" so much that in the end, I feel instead of being a symbol of importance, it's just become a band logo.

But this is the downfall though. Once you start using it for everything all the time, it's meaning gets lost in translation. If the video maybe showed the eye once or twice at critical moments, the video would have been better, and the "eye" would have been exemplified as higher importance.
I think the eye thing is still subtle even though it's everywhere. Because it's not saying anything in specific other than, be more conscious. Depending on what the eye is on and when it comes into play regarding the rest of, say the vicarious video for example, it has slightly different meanings. I mean to me, Tool are truth seekers, they seek truth with they're music, using mathematics and universal laws for lyrics. They seek truth in their visual art, the only true thing about anything visual is that eyes are used to see it. Everything to them must contain a dab of truth to it.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote