View Single Post
Old 10-04-2006, 07:01 PM   #130
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/30 - Washington D.C. - Verizon Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienoar View Post
I saw the DC show (flew up from FL just to see TOOL and ISIS play together), and I have to say that although the band played very well, I was a little disappointed in the direction the band have taken their live shows. I first saw Tool back in '96 on Aenima tour, then Ozzfest 98, then 4 times on the Lateralus tour, and then in DC last weekend. I have to say that I do not like the seated floor, although I am not a big fan of moshing per se, I like the freedom to move around, dance, whatever, and not be confined to one small assigned area. However, I can handle assigned seating. What bothers me is the lack of inclusion of older material in their sets, and the fact that they rarely change the setlist. With such a great back catalog, you would think that an occasional Intolerance, Jerk Off, Hush, 4 Degrees, etc. would slip its way into the set just to mix things up a bit. I don't really buy the "It takes a million years to program the videos" explanation. I think the band just does not enjoy playing in a live setting as much as they used to -- face it, they are all pushing 40. the same things do not excite them, and I feel some of the passion has gone out of things. I like 10,00 days, and it was great to hear some of those songs played live, but the band seems to really not want to do any kind of variety. I could understand if they did not want to play pre-Justin material, but that does not explain why they have only played Stinkfist and Aenema off of the Aenima album for every single show out of the last 4 times I have seen them since 2001. Why no third Eye or Eulogy? i love those songs.

Plus I thought the stage set up wwas more dazzling for the Lateralus tour. Anyway, these are just some minor disappointments I have been feeling about the band's live shows.

On the other hand, Jambi and 10,000 Days sound fantastic live. I just wish the guys would show a little more interest in the non-singles from previous albums and show a little variety/diversity already!!

I agree with you 100%. IMHO TOOL is still by far the best band to go and see thoughin the 6 times i have seen them, spanning 10 years, this show was a bit of a dissappointment. I saw 3 shows on the Lateralus tour and they got better and better and figured that this would blow my mind. Jambi fucking rocked, as did Vicarious and The Pot but for some reason i felt slightly hollow. The trip (drove from Charlotte) and show were still worth ever penny and the Hampton Inn was surprisingly nice.
OFFLINE |