Thread: The Eye
View Single Post
ufopancakes's Avatar ufopancakes
06-09-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esurient4Truth View Post
I don't know. I look at Stinkfist, Schism, and Parabola, and then I look at Vicarious. I sometimes wonder what happened along the way. It's like they built the video around the eye, instead of the eye around the video. It's a powerful symbol, and a lot of fans on here are going to tell me otherwise, but for what they were trying to convey, the video was too cliche.

Also, Vicarious was too heavily influenced by Alex Grey in my opinion. I realize that Tool invited him in, but the video is more about Alex Grey than it is Tool. Just my opinion.
Yeah, I can see that, but it was also the decision of the band to make it like that. I really like it though. Parabola was like a tease to me... I was hoping to see more Alex Grey influenced videos. Needless to say I was quite satisfied with Vicarious.

Still, in considering Tools motif of expanding consciousness, I see the eye as appropriate... even though it is a little overused. The first time I watched it, I was thinking "What the fuck is up with all these goddamn eyes?"
Old 06-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #61
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 1
Re: The Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esurient4Truth View Post
I don't know. I look at Stinkfist, Schism, and Parabola, and then I look at Vicarious. I sometimes wonder what happened along the way. It's like they built the video around the eye, instead of the eye around the video. It's a powerful symbol, and a lot of fans on here are going to tell me otherwise, but for what they were trying to convey, the video was too cliche.

Also, Vicarious was too heavily influenced by Alex Grey in my opinion. I realize that Tool invited him in, but the video is more about Alex Grey than it is Tool. Just my opinion.
Yeah, I can see that, but it was also the decision of the band to make it like that. I really like it though. Parabola was like a tease to me... I was hoping to see more Alex Grey influenced videos. Needless to say I was quite satisfied with Vicarious.

Still, in considering Tools motif of expanding consciousness, I see the eye as appropriate... even though it is a little overused. The first time I watched it, I was thinking "What the fuck is up with all these goddamn eyes?"