View Single Post
tollll12
04-22-2006, 04:38 PM

More evidence to add to the case that the leak was a leak of b-sides and outtakes.

I posted in the 10,000 days section that I thought that song was a b-side with a discussion of why. Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned are b-sides too, and here is why:

This track was meant to be a hidden/bonus track, because it's a joke. The only real question is did it come from Aenima or Lateralus? There are logical reasons for thinking either is correct, but I'm leaning toward Lateralus right now.

Opiate has a hidden/bonus track; Undertow has a hidden/bonus track; Salival has a hidden/bonus track; and I'd consider Faaip De Oaid in the same vein. Only Aenima is missing a similar track, which is the only reason I think this song could be a hidden track cut from that album. But I think there are better reasons to think it was cut from Lateralus - I'll get into that later.

If you don't believe Lost Keys is a joke, then you have never heard this joke: http://moncom.net/moncomjokesmsgs.asp?topictoview=4 (I heard a different version of the same joke, but in essence they are the same). You really should know this joke, it's referenced in movies and books all over the place... as it's reference here. Doesn't the begining of the song make you feel like you are travelling down a tunnel? That's what I thought the first time I heard it.

The lyrical content of Rosetta Stoned is fucking hilarious. The lines where the ET tells the main character that he is the chosen one, and the kid replies, "and I didn't even graduate from fuckin high school." had me rolling. That is funny shit - then he forgets his pen and shits the bed. This is all funny shit, and it's in exacly the same vein as the hidden tracks on the other albums.

The lyrics in a typical Tool album are deep and thoughtful. The only time the lyrics get kinda-cool-kinda-funny is when they show up in hidden tracks. It makes no sense that these songs would show up right in the middle of the album. They were definatly written to be hidden/bonus material.

So why didn't Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned show up on an album? Lost Keys with Rosetta Stoned are pretty long - a total of 14 minutes together. They were prime for cutting, especially since they are meant to be a hidden/bonus material, and there wasn't 14 minutes of free space on Lateralus. Danny mentioned in an interview that they had plenty of material left over from Lateralus to make another album - here ya go.

Reasons to believe it's from Lateralus: Rosetta Stoned is in the same vein as Faaip De Oaid - both about Area 51, and both difficult to understand. Also listen to Rosetta Stoned - at 1:11 you get some guitar that is right out of Reflection. This song was probably cut because it was too long, and then Tool added Faaip De Oaid, probably, to appease Danny who, probably, really wanted some Area 51 shit like this on the album (he is kind of a UFO nut job).

The holes in my argument: obviously there are a lot of you who feel what was leaked to us on the internet is the real album. You are all foolishly ignoring a large mass of evidence that suggest otherwise - so this is only a minor hole (I don't consider it a hole at all). The major hole is that Aenima doesn't have a hidden/bonus track. This suggests that perhaps Rosetta Stoned came from that album. I really don't think it did though. There probably just wasn't enough space on Aenima to fit a hidden/bonus track. So they never wrote one (or maybe Right in Two is Aenima's bonus track, a song that strikes me a slightly bonus'ish. I haven't given that theory much thought yet - perhaps you should?!).

Last edited by tollll12; 04-22-2006 at 04:41 PM..
Old 04-22-2006, 04:38 PM   #1
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 5
This is a B-side - let's discuss it

More evidence to add to the case that the leak was a leak of b-sides and outtakes.

I posted in the 10,000 days section that I thought that song was a b-side with a discussion of why. Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned are b-sides too, and here is why:

This track was meant to be a hidden/bonus track, because it's a joke. The only real question is did it come from Aenima or Lateralus? There are logical reasons for thinking either is correct, but I'm leaning toward Lateralus right now.

Opiate has a hidden/bonus track; Undertow has a hidden/bonus track; Salival has a hidden/bonus track; and I'd consider Faaip De Oaid in the same vein. Only Aenima is missing a similar track, which is the only reason I think this song could be a hidden track cut from that album. But I think there are better reasons to think it was cut from Lateralus - I'll get into that later.

If you don't believe Lost Keys is a joke, then you have never heard this joke: http://moncom.net/moncomjokesmsgs.asp?topictoview=4 (I heard a different version of the same joke, but in essence they are the same). You really should know this joke, it's referenced in movies and books all over the place... as it's reference here. Doesn't the begining of the song make you feel like you are travelling down a tunnel? That's what I thought the first time I heard it.

The lyrical content of Rosetta Stoned is fucking hilarious. The lines where the ET tells the main character that he is the chosen one, and the kid replies, "and I didn't even graduate from fuckin high school." had me rolling. That is funny shit - then he forgets his pen and shits the bed. This is all funny shit, and it's in exacly the same vein as the hidden tracks on the other albums.

The lyrics in a typical Tool album are deep and thoughtful. The only time the lyrics get kinda-cool-kinda-funny is when they show up in hidden tracks. It makes no sense that these songs would show up right in the middle of the album. They were definatly written to be hidden/bonus material.

So why didn't Lost Keys and Rosetta Stoned show up on an album? Lost Keys with Rosetta Stoned are pretty long - a total of 14 minutes together. They were prime for cutting, especially since they are meant to be a hidden/bonus material, and there wasn't 14 minutes of free space on Lateralus. Danny mentioned in an interview that they had plenty of material left over from Lateralus to make another album - here ya go.

Reasons to believe it's from Lateralus: Rosetta Stoned is in the same vein as Faaip De Oaid - both about Area 51, and both difficult to understand. Also listen to Rosetta Stoned - at 1:11 you get some guitar that is right out of Reflection. This song was probably cut because it was too long, and then Tool added Faaip De Oaid, probably, to appease Danny who, probably, really wanted some Area 51 shit like this on the album (he is kind of a UFO nut job).

The holes in my argument: obviously there are a lot of you who feel what was leaked to us on the internet is the real album. You are all foolishly ignoring a large mass of evidence that suggest otherwise - so this is only a minor hole (I don't consider it a hole at all). The major hole is that Aenima doesn't have a hidden/bonus track. This suggests that perhaps Rosetta Stoned came from that album. I really don't think it did though. There probably just wasn't enough space on Aenima to fit a hidden/bonus track. So they never wrote one (or maybe Right in Two is Aenima's bonus track, a song that strikes me a slightly bonus'ish. I haven't given that theory much thought yet - perhaps you should?!).

Last edited by tollll12; 04-22-2006 at 04:41 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote