Bincount™: 2
Re: 2006/09/09 - Phoenix, AZ - Cricket Pavilion

My 5th TOOL gig--
Words of wisdom for tonight:
"You guys need to find a different way to express your fucking love.." MJK

Set List:
Stinkfist
The Pot (Abandoned Version)
46 & 2 (Special Instrumental Version) -Has anyone else gotten this live?
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Lateralus
Vicarious
AENEMA (sorry I don't know how to connect the A and E)

Encore-
Wings For Marie
10,000 Days (Wings Pt. 2)

Ok, I (also) have mixed feelings about tonight. After Maynard had left the stage (you should know why by now), I just kept thinking that we were going to get fucked out of Right In Two (which we may well have) and Wings pt 1 and 2. Anyway, didn't they make you throw away your water bottles there. I think him being sick made the whole situation worse for him, he was pushing himself a bit and it didnt feel appreciated after the incident. I seemed to feel this tension (knowing what a dick Maynard can be if you don't show respect) through the rest of the concert, after he put his shirt back on he didnt loosen up as before, like he was in a way pouting the rest of the show (c'mon Maynard cheer up, your playing a sold out show for god's sake, you're making money doing what you love to do). This was not your normal TOOL show, the drama may have been good or bad. Also Cricket shut off the fans after the first couple songs, the cheap bastards. I also kept thinking about BLUES BROTHERS the movie, when they were playing "Rawhide" in that cage having shit thrown at them. On with the review...

Yeah, the vocals did suffer a bit from Maynard being sick but the show was still amazing. Rosetta Stoned (minus Lost Keys which I love) with the new visuals of that guy staggering down the highway and Lateralus also with new visuals were the highlights of course. The instrumental 46&2 was also special (who else gets that version). Maybe this can be a new trend, be stupid in your town and see what other instrumental versions we can get. The crowned gem was Wings 1 & 2. I was finally able to relax that Maynard shared that song with us despite what happend. The cloud effect (from left to right) was awesome, I love when I can go "how did they do that?" I was pissed there was no Jambi and for the past month (or whenever they started playing it at shows) really wanted to hear Right In Two; maybe it wasnt planned because of him being ill since the song is very vocal or maybe it was that cocksucker who threw the bottle, I believe that we were atleast fucked out of Jambi (FUCK!!!!). The lasers and smoke machines, the smoke clouds, everything worked very well. Vocally Gammage was better, visually of course TOOL really takes advantage of the arena setting.

I'm not sure what the deal with Los Angeles being on the sleeves of the shirt exactly was, did someone order too many shirts for the last two shows. Well, I waited until the stand was about to close and still got one with it on there, maybe cause they reside in LA. My buddy did make a good point saying that it wouldnt be smart cost wise to have the name of each city on the sleeve, that actually convinced me to buy one (for $38 fucking dollars).

In conclusion, I can't wait for them to come back (maybe America West next year or so). Then maybe we'll get Right In Two. I also hope Maynard felt better after he took his sudafed and jerked off to Comedy Central (isn't that what he said), which maybe he should have done before the show to release some built up tension. Oh and one other thing......Adam Jones is the shit. Thanks TOOL, you put together another breathtaking show.

Last edited by HanInCarbonite; 09-10-2006 at 11:23 PM..
OFFLINE |