View Single Post
Old 09-10-2006, 07:59 AM   #17
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/09 - Phoenix, AZ - Cricket Pavilion

well...

the good: beautiful night (phx summer finally broke). Isis was really good. 3/4 of tool were flawless all night. getting wings/10kdays as an encore was a pleasant surprise.
might have been the best performance of stinkfist i have seen.

the bad: no jambi. maynard walkoff. maynard's reduced range. maynard's general diva bullshit. maynard in general.

i don't know if i am getting too old to be a fanboy or what, but the whole water bottle incident kind of killed the show for me. it would have been fine if he had just stopped the show right there and reprimanded the crowd. give people a chance to police each other and then continue the show as it was meant to be. leaving the stage mid song and then taunting the crowd through the majority of 46+2 was childish, selfish, typical maynard. yes, there are assholes in the world, especially at a tool concert. yes, they are throwing bottles. yes, they should be sterilized so they can't reproduce. but that in no way means the rest of the crowd should miss out because of them. pull up your panties and finish the show.

maynard's already at the back of the stage, out of the lights, away from the smoke, doesn't move, doesn't sing when he feels like it. maybe he should get a popemobile and a hardhat to protect himself as well.

i think the fact of the matter is that his voice isn't as reliable as it once was. he gets frustrated about it and then uses whatever excuse he can to leave the stage whenever possible. did the same thing 2 days ago during 10k days. it will be interesting to see how many times this little scenario repeats itself over the course of the tour.

enough bitching. what was interesting to me was that the band never missed a beat during maynard's absence. it was kind of cool to hear the little flourishes and accents that you may not notice when the vocals are present.

overall, i enjoyed myself. probably the weakest tool show i have seen, but better than no tool at all, i suppose.
OFFLINE |