View Single Post
Old 10-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #138
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: 2006/09/29 - Mansfield, MA - Tweeter Center

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I went. There were some amazing moments at this show. "Jambi" was the absolute baddest ass song they did that night. Just amazing. I wish they'd kept that level up for the entire show. Staring up at the stars on the lawn of Great Woods during the beginning of "Rosetta Stoned" was something I will take with me to the grave. "Lateralus" and "Vicarious" also brought forth some of that old righteousness that I recall from past tours. At points I could hear the crowd singing louder than the band. At moments it was everything I'd hoped for.

But there are some songs on the new album that should have been on an APC album, and didn't need to be played live. It should have been an evening with Tool without an opening act so that they had more time for other songs. The fact they've grown so big that the money is getting in the way sucks. Getting decent seats was impossible for a lot of people. Claims that having nosebleed seats didn't matter ended up being pure bullshit. The band was lacking the consistently passionate intensity that characterized past shows. There was no mystical power or exchange of energy with the crowd or each other that used to set them apart from other technically gifted bands.

So, while they wowed me at points, I'd have to say that I expected a lot more considering all the hype and expense.