View Single Post
Old 09-19-2006, 08:05 PM   #95
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/18 - Chicago, IL - Allstate Arena

The concert was just as I expected from reading reviews of previous shows. People around me seemed to think I had ESP or something, but if they were true diehard fans they would've at least known something about the current tour and how it was progressing up to that point. I mentioned to a few people how Maynard was sick and how the past couple of shows had been (from what I read) and that one show had already been cancelled and we should feel lucky they didn't postpone or cancel. Someone asked me what was behind the black curtain and I said "not much, just some strings of light" At the end of Aenima, I said, "Okay, that's it, we can go now." Nobody moved. "That's all they're gonna play, seriously." Nobody moved. Then the lights came on and it suddenly dawned on them that the show was over.

But before the show started behind the stage where anybody could stand, I spotted Justin in his camoflouge hoodie come in from the outside and quickly walk through the backstage entrance. I yelled "Hey, Justin! What's up?" He simply nodded to me while trying not to be noticed. I didn't see any other band member besides him.

Loved the music (of course) despite the poor acoustics of a sports arena. The visuals behind the band were great from where I could see (Sec 113 Row N). Maynard was fun to watch as always and Justin seemed really into it like he usually is. What can you say about Danny besides being one of the most underrated rock drummers ever. (I never hear people give him props, even from fans of Rush and Neil Peart, "Danny who?" DANNY CAREY, YOU IGNORANT PIECE OF SHIT!) Adam sounded awesome and moved around only once which is more than I ever saw him move, but then again, he's got a lot of high tech shit around him to attend to.

The lasers didn't add much and neither did the Christmas lights.

I would have to say TOOL reached their peak of performance with the Lateralus tour. The video screens were fantastic (EVERYONE could see them), they played longer and I was left completely breathless and euphoric each time. I didn't get the same from them this show, but maybe I'm just more jaded and have come to expect more and that's probably my fault as I'm closer to forty than thirty now. Still a fantastic performance musically, just not as good a production value as the last time I saw them.
OFFLINE |