View Single Post
holotrope's Avatar holotrope
04-26-2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosis
To tell you the truth, the first image that came to mind was Hamlet (yes, Shakespeare).

When the Ghost speaks to Hamlet, he speaks of the fires of purgatory burning away a lifetime of sins.

In this case, 10,000 days of purgatory before the soul is sent home (i.e. cleansed of their sins, and go to Heaven).

Mind you, that's not really applicable to this song, as she wasn't dead, but it's just an image.
Well, she is dead now, and given the concept of Karma, each lifetime is exactly what you describe- a purgatory for the cleansing of the soul. Her Karmic burden was to be paralyzed, and to endure that painful existence for 10,000 days. This song sounds like a meditation directing energy towards Judith's after-death Enlightenment. Maynard feels like she suffered long enough, and now she can return to her spiritual home, which is the same home for all of us (since, after all, "we are eternal, all this pain is an illusion").

On this album, Maynard is using more Sufi imagery as opposed to the Vedic imagery of the past albums. 'Angels' as the enlightened state of man, and 'monkeys' as the creature that man was before he was "inspired" with the Divine spark....
Help people, you lazy bum
Old 04-26-2006, 10:06 AM   #44
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 21
Re: "10000 days in the fire is long enough..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosis
To tell you the truth, the first image that came to mind was Hamlet (yes, Shakespeare).

When the Ghost speaks to Hamlet, he speaks of the fires of purgatory burning away a lifetime of sins.

In this case, 10,000 days of purgatory before the soul is sent home (i.e. cleansed of their sins, and go to Heaven).

Mind you, that's not really applicable to this song, as she wasn't dead, but it's just an image.
Well, she is dead now, and given the concept of Karma, each lifetime is exactly what you describe- a purgatory for the cleansing of the soul. Her Karmic burden was to be paralyzed, and to endure that painful existence for 10,000 days. This song sounds like a meditation directing energy towards Judith's after-death Enlightenment. Maynard feels like she suffered long enough, and now she can return to her spiritual home, which is the same home for all of us (since, after all, "we are eternal, all this pain is an illusion").

On this album, Maynard is using more Sufi imagery as opposed to the Vedic imagery of the past albums. 'Angels' as the enlightened state of man, and 'monkeys' as the creature that man was before he was "inspired" with the Divine spark....
Help people, you lazy bum
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote