Thread: the cradle
View Single Post
arad512's Avatar arad512
07-02-2006, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendere
i don't think anyone has mentioned this yet. i was driving and listening to "the pot" and heard the line "rob the grave to snow the cradle" and i thought "hm, the cradle?"as in the "cradle of civilization", as in the area between the tigris and euphrates, as in iraq? using the idea that "rob the grave" refers to the use of the 9/11 victims to justify the war on terrorism, there's a connection there; i don't know if i necessarily believe that the song is strictly about the president and the war, but i was wondering if anyone else caught this possible reference
I think this is a really interesting point, but it seems like the whole song is metaphorical (i.e. "Pot calling the kettle black", "chosen indigo", "throwing stones in a glass house", "kangaroo court"). So I think that using the word "cradle" to represent a specific location would be inconsistent. I think cradle and grave are both metaphors as well, but what exactly they are referring to I'm not sure.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:11 PM   #15
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: "the cradle" of civilization

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendere
i don't think anyone has mentioned this yet. i was driving and listening to "the pot" and heard the line "rob the grave to snow the cradle" and i thought "hm, the cradle?"as in the "cradle of civilization", as in the area between the tigris and euphrates, as in iraq? using the idea that "rob the grave" refers to the use of the 9/11 victims to justify the war on terrorism, there's a connection there; i don't know if i necessarily believe that the song is strictly about the president and the war, but i was wondering if anyone else caught this possible reference
I think this is a really interesting point, but it seems like the whole song is metaphorical (i.e. "Pot calling the kettle black", "chosen indigo", "throwing stones in a glass house", "kangaroo court"). So I think that using the word "cradle" to represent a specific location would be inconsistent. I think cradle and grave are both metaphors as well, but what exactly they are referring to I'm not sure.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote