View Single Post
Old 12-04-2006, 01:02 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/12/03 - Oberhausen, GER - Konig-Pilsener Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRoggles View Post
Since review section is still closed:

Oberhausen, my seventh Tool concert, the first one together with my wife.
Firstly, back in august I bought tickets for the floor but now my wife is pregnant and luckily we managed to find some spare seats in the sitting area. Quite excellent places straight view at the stage.
Secondly, the ride up here was difficult with lots of rain and stormy weather.

Mastodon was a nice opener but I couldn’t hear a word from the singer, to be precise I heard him but could not make out what he was singing.

Then, seventh time, Tool, third time this year, the four other times where in 2001 (3x) and 2002 (1x).!!!!
Well it was my fifth Tool concert, also third one this year and the best one this year, all time matching with the one in Düsseldorf on the Lateralus-tour.

Mastodon was OK, if you're into old school metal, I went for a cup of coffee after the beginning, and came back for the end and watched the end from the stairs, where the sound was more bareable. I won't be buying any of their records.

Quote:
Stinkfist No video, just lights, slight problems with Maynard’s voice at the beginning. The extended part was great again.

Fortysix & 2 The song that follows me, seven times Tool, seven times this non-video clip song. The two times earlier this year I was a bit bored by the song but now, WOW, just WOW. Amazingly played. The best 46&2 I ever heard. Cool drums, bass, guitar and voice.

Maynard: ‘The party has been started.’).
I think he said "Well, let's get this party started". Same for me with the 46+2, at every concert, but indeed both Stinkfist (really loved the extended bit) and this one sounded great this time.

Quote:
Jambi Love this song, I sense it is one of their own favourites. The opening is amazing, Adam Jones is amazing (just as Justin and Danny). The background video and lights with the red colours is excellent addition to the song. Love it.
I agree completely, what a fuckin' amazing song and live always a highlight.

Quote:
Schism One of my wife’s favourites. Played very good including the fast part.

Lost Keys Yeah. Light show builds up.

Rosetta Stoned Amazing. I love this song, excellent live performance and a song meant to be heard in concert. The round lights resembling UFO’s was fun. Videos where cool.
Both on Schism and Rosetta Stoned the built-up is long and Schism was probably my least favourite today, the ending of Rosetta Stoned was great.

Quote:
Swamp Song Always rated this as one of Tool’s worst songs but.now….. not anymore. Very well played, fourteen year old song. When I hear a song like this in concert nowadays and Sober earlier this summer I really want to see Undertow re-mastered and/or produced using modern standards ‘cause now Undertow is low quality.
Maynard during break in Swamp Song: ‘Just wait with that’ addressing people’s to early clapping near the end of Rosette Stoned. Funny.
A new live song, I dove back into the archives and listened back this song, when I heard they did it live on this tour and I cannot understand how I overlooked it in the past, maybe because all their stuff is so good, that sometimes the songs don't stand out, but absolutely magnificent performance. Once again I heard Maynard's words slightly different, I think he stated "Just wait for it".

After this the break, and really the show goes to another level visually after this break, first in the break the lighter bit with Justin, nice with all these lighters in the air. On the other hand the venue, which wasn't sold out by a long shot, became more and more smoky during the gig and Maynard wore his 'gasmask' during the entire show.

Quote:
Wings for Mary Yeah, finally, the must hear song this tour. Very good atmosphere and the crowd was nice. Maynard asked kindly to not flash during especially this song. Emotional to him and you can hear it. The lasers where cool with their slow build up and exploding in the heavy part ending in a W / Wings.

10,000 Days Wow. Amazing. Incredible. Love it. Excellent performance by all of them. Lasers forming a halo at the start. Clouds on the video and finally the 10,000 Days artwork shown. At the heavy part the lasers go nuts again. Amazing song very glad to hear it live.
Wings for MarIE !!! These songs is what drew me to see them again and WOW!!
Not heavy, but very composed, I had chills and felt a tear in my eye, at the first "give me my wings". During this song I also realized that this isn't just a concert that I was seeing and hearing. This is a progrock/metal/opera, a complete visual and audio experience, performed flawlessly. Fans of Tool have it bad, because no other bands can ever match up to the standard set by Tool and it becomes hard to apreciate other bands, when you are treated to this kind of total package.

Quote:
Lateralus Good as always, good lasers, good spiraling lights. Cheers. The gong was softer as earlier this year.

Vicarious Excellent. Very very very tight. Lasers very cool again.

Ænema Best closer ever, better then Lateralus as a closer. Friggin love this song, checkout my thread in the Ænema section. Very very tight. Impressive.
Well what can one say, excellent, I really love "Vicarious", 'Lateralus' isn't my personal favourite, but the way they perform each song is just amazing. Maynard was almost speachless tonight, except for the few things mentioned, before Ænema he stated "Thanks for coming out, maybe we'll see you next summer". Btw did anyone notice that during the last part of 'Vicarious' Maynard was gesturing, it seemed to me that he was annoyed by someone/something in the audience at the side?

Quote:
Overall
* Excellent show, just as good or even better as the concert on may 24 – 2001 in Tilburg. Justin, Adam, Maynard and Danny where really into it tonight.
* Sound quality of venue was good, only beginning of Stinkfist had vocal problems.
* Wife loved the concert and glad she experienced it.
* I can not choose a highlight because all songs where highlights.
* The light show and lasers where excellent. The build up from nothing (Stinkfist) to full blast (Lateralus - Vicarious - Ænema) is impressive. Our seats aimed right at the floor where excellent. For this show I recommend seated places, really. Much better light show then back in 2001-2002. Wow.

extra’s
* No need to pay for parking, eat that Dutch bastards (I’m Dutch J).
* When I walked out someone said: Lateralus concerts lasted two and half hours, oh how wrong are they, people are generally overrating the length of the Lateralus concerts tour…
* Did I mention I loved the show? Friggin Great!!!!
Well McRoggles, I agree, fuckin' excellent. The guys who didn't come out for yet another Tool-show this year, missed out badly. This one was an absolute must-see/hear/experience. I was standing a bit back, but the view was great there too.

What the hell are they going to try and do to improve on this for next summer???