View Single Post
Old 09-14-2006, 05:34 AM   #73
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/07 - Los Angeles, CA - Staples Center

Finally, I've been waiting almost a week for the admins to allow me to post so that I can give a review.

First off, THIS SHOW FUCKIN ROCKED!!!!! Definitely my best live concert experience ever!!!!!! Others up there are the Metallica Black Album tour and the Led Zeppelin Reunion Tour. So emotional and so damn Hard!!!!

Second off, THANK YOU KABIR. Thanks to this site I have been able to closely follow the entire tour, and I have read just about every review for every show thus far. This is truly a great place for dedicated fans to express their ideas and opinions and share their experiences. I've been a Tool fan since Jr. High when Undertow was released, however this tour has been my first live Tool experiences and has definitely changed my perception of the band and of live music in it's entirety!

First I saw them at Coachella, which for me was a day full of amazing live performances. Massive Attack was incredible having not toured the US in 8 yrs, it was HUGE, but nothing could prepare me for the moment Tool took the stage, whom we all know had been on a 3 yr. hiatus. From the moment they hit the first few notes of Stinkfist until the the*climatic finish with AEnema, it was pure enigmatic bliss. Absolute nirvana. I have never heard so many people singing along to a live performance it was very overwhelming and almost erie like thousands of monks chanting in sync. I was well in front of the mixing board about 30 to 40 ft from the stage to the right, in front of Justin. After that show I was hooked like a LA street corner junkie, it really changed my expectations for live shows. I don't see how anyone could possibly be better live. I did not download the new album ahead of time so I didn't get to fully appreciate the new songs live, however they were still so unforgettably powerful to the point that when I bought the new album and listened to it for the first time The Pot, Jambi, and Vicarious sounded like Classics that I had heard a hundred times.

A few weeks later I saw that they were playing Street Scene and I bought tickets immediately. Tool once again was amazing but the show was a disaster. Just read the reviews. Thankfully, I took my girlfriend who was not a big fan so we stayed pretty far back just in front of the mixing board or else I probably would have been right in the middle of the chaos. I was very disappointed in peoples human nature that night and Maynard says it best, "where there is one they're bound to divide it right in two". Funny that is probably the song we missed out on along with rosetta stoned. To take what could have been such a great show and ruin it for everyone is a pity. Tool was impeccable despite the idiocy.

Left with mixed emotions and a bitter taste in my mouth I began to search for tickets religiously to the LA performances. After having a few floor seat deals fall through I managed to find a very tempting offer. Side stage tickets, Section 114 row 14. Because of seeing the first two shows I knew that I would be sitting off to the side of the stage where Maynard stands with his keyboard and would probably have a pretty good view even though the tickets said "limited view". I couldn't have been more right. The seats were amazing I don't think I would have rather sat anywhere else in the house. I was front row of my section directly to the side of the stage with perfect view of Maynard, Danny and Adam. Ill never forget when right after Stinkfist Maynard looked directly over at our section and paused to observe the roaring crowd with an emotionless look on his face but you couldn't help but tell there was a deep sense of appreciation behind his large aviator sunglasses. Also when Adam did his talk box solo he turned and faced us and I finally had a perfect view of how the talkbox functions with the guitar.

THE LA SHOW SEPT 7th.
Not much more can be said that hasn't already about this show, I would just like give my opinions on the nights events.

Stinkfist- awesome live and the perfect way to start off. That solo fuckin rocked.

The Pot- love the way maynard stops after the second line and lets the crowd finish then comes back and finishes right after. Brilliant!!!!! He did that as well at Street Scene and I loved it.

Jambi- ROCKS LIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The talkbox solo really makes the song and I had perfect view of Adam during.

46&2- A must at every live show. Such a classic!

Schism- Not a big fan of this song but the double-time part makes it all worth it.

Rosetta Stoned- Finally first time to see it and was expecting it. Although he kinda botched the first part of it like Kabir said the last five minutes is mind blowing and they killed it.

Right in two- YESSSSSSSSS!!!!! I love this song and it is meant to be played live. I wanted to hear this song so bad and was absolutely ecstatic when they played the first few notes. I heard some one say they should end thier sets with this and I think that would be a great idea.

Wings Pt 1 and 2 - This I had no idea was coming and couldn't have felt more privileged when they started the song. Like sonny said when they hit the first few notes of that song is a moment I will never forget. As far as the dispute as to why he walked of stage and when he walked off.....He definitely walked of during the first verse of pt 2 like Kabir said and as far as why, looking at the stage I was sitting just to the left of where he walked off and down the stairs. He then removed his sunglasses and wiped his eyes and then put his hand on his forehead and walked passed us to my left into the tunnel with his head down. For those who know the meaning of this song and magnitude of debuting it live, it was definitely the fact that he was overcome with emotion that caused him to leave the stage. But he gained his composure and came back and nailed the song. Such a humbling and gratifying experience. The minute long hug between Maynard and Adam afterwards said so much. UNFORGETTABLE!!!!!!!!!! I have listened to the song every day since the show and it seriously gives me goose bumps every time.

Lateralus, Vicarious and AEnema were all so fuckin bad ass and perfect to end the night Classic songs off of three Classic albums. Love all of these songs live!!!!!!

They really out did themselves for their home town crowd. Longest set list on the tour yet and the most songs off 10000 days played live yet. The emotions of WINGS and being the first to see it played live made it a night to remember forever. Incredible show, I never knew a live multimedia experience could evoke so many different and strong emotions. Another thing I noticed was Maynard never addressed the crowd with any comments, a few thank you's and a good nite that was about it, which to me was his way of being humble. This adds to the fact that it was a very special night for the band and everyone lucky enough to be there. At Coachella he was very sarcastic and condescending. Starting off with " Good evening hippies, I can smell your patchouli from here" and "You know this is the first live show we've done in a long time, You're Welcome." Also made a comment about everyone downloading the new album and before AEnema said something about it being LA and everyone having backstage passes. Then at Street Scene he opened with" Good evening duesche bags and dick heads" which couldn't have been more deserving considering the ensuing events.

ALL IN ALL AMAZING AND SOMETHING I WILL NEVER FORGET!!!

Sorry if this was kinda of long but all this has been on my mind for the last week and I had to get it all out. I'm sure not too many people will read it considering its a week later but if you do thanx for taking the time because Ive took the time to read just about every review on the site. Once again thanx KABIR for letting me live Vicariously through your site and Thanx TOOL!!!!! Truly one of the most prolific and epic bands of our time!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by DVSONE; 09-14-2006 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: spelling errors!!!
OFFLINE |