View Single Post
Old 09-04-2006, 10:14 PM   #41
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 3
Re: 2006/09/03 - Oakland, CA - Oakland Arena

While embarking on my journey of seeing Tool for the third time this year, I was swamped with thoughts of the Wings duo. Would they or wouldn't they?! I, too, read about Justin's interview with the Mercury News and that further tickled my fancy.

We arrived around 6:30, after departing from a boring family barbeque and full of bottled water, we proceeded to stand in line for the unbearable port-a-potty. Then we headed for the GA line. I swear this only happens to me, I was surrounded by fan boy teenagers and their immature female counterparts. These kids go back and forth revealing which song they'd like to hear and one goes "No Quarter would be sick." His buddies remain silent. Oook, thank god for the internet, kiddo, because you'd never know they covered that. Whatever, the point of this paragraph was that I was annoyed before getting into the door. Was this going to be a repeat of the Fresno crowd times 3, on crack?

I had never heard Isis before and can't give a clear or fair opinion on them. I'd rather hear their album. Let's say I wasn't inspired to buy or download it either. I am incredibly lazy, too. If the music fairy put it under my pillow, I'd give it a listen.

Ok, so Tool hits the stage and for practically each song, I yell into my husbands ear what they're gonna play and I am right. I'm of course not thrilled with the first five songs but Tool are solid performers and they were great. I was zoned on Adam's solo in Jambi and it wasn't as impressive as Fresno's performance. It seemed flat. I had a problem with the vocals, low and muffled sounding. I was standing a little in front of the sound/technic booth.

Then comes Rosetta Stoned. Hello friend! I loooove this song and live? ENTRANCED! Infact, I think they could do without Sober and permantely replace it with RS. So setting aside my love of the song, my favorite part: the climax, failed to hit it home for me. See vocal comment. At one point, I notice the two circular light fixtures over the stage lower and stupid me thought it could have been in preparation for the debut of Wings.

A pleasant surprise for Right in Two. I noticed Maynard stop during three verses. Was he trying to gage the crowd's familiarity? Danny's tabla work was amazing, true to album form, obviously. As lame as it seems, I yelled out "DANNY CAREEEEEEEEY!" This man is a living legend. I truly appreciate his work and marvel at how he (and all drummers, really) lay framework for much music and their tempo is key. His work with Tool has inspired my obsession with percussion.

Then came Sober. Ok fine, great job guys. Next? It's so sad that my mentality was in that place, but it was...What's next?! With my back to the stage and my arms around my husband's neck, I am slowly swaying to the intro of Lateralis when he demands that I turn around and finally see something different: the lighting set up! It looked great, the smoked was a great aide. It was such a production I though they may just go out on that note. So they took their break and as stated before, it was neat to see all of the lighters. I don't get out much! We knew what the encore was and my husband goes: "want to start heading for the doors." No, of course not.

In conclusion, the show was fantastic overall. Not too many asswipes near me, plenty of breathing room. $156 worth of merchandise, sleep well Tool, I gotchya back. Maybe I shouldn't see Tool so often next time around? Maybe they should realize that people are crazy and will follow them where ever they go and a little nightly titration would be great? Crapshoot? I guess I'd rather them play the songs they think they do best, or like to play, rather than mess ups...rather than no live Tool at all.

Thank you for touring, Tool.