View Single Post
Old 05-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #29
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/12 - Minneapolis, MN - Orpheum Theatre

Saw the show from balcony 7 with great view and outstanding vibe among mostly hardcore fans aged 15 to 45.
Feeling throughout was how fucking lucky am I to see favorite band that rocks this hard with also artistry, vision, expressing dark thoughts we all have within us, complete mastery of instruments - and in small venue without rotten stadium rock yuppies and their girlfriends jumping up and down to the two songs they've actually heard before then sitting down glumly for the "new stuff" or pissing off before the traffic rush ...........
Thought the performance was tight, great synchronized energy from the four, best sensation when internal organs vibrating from guitar and drum crescendos – new tracks passed the test here with flying colors.
Didn't really care about the videos - seen the good ones before and they felt too retrospective - just prefer to see and hear mindnumbingly good band. Set choice was, apparently, predictable but actually inspired combination for nearly 2 hours of out-of-body mental orgasm that seemed over too soon because of perfection that probably shouldn’t be fucked with. No greatest hits medely, cover versions, doodling innovations, time-wasting rants or “all the people on the right say YEAH” bullshit is fine by me.
Agree with several (honest) fans that soundcrew or whoever couldn't get the vocals right especially at the start - maybe this was the best the venue could offer TOOL - after all it's a big beast in a small cage.
Didn't appreciate Maynard’s "let's get the fuck out of here" head toss at the end - maybe pissed off at Aenema sound snafu or whatever and not intended as disrespect – still preferred genuine warmth from other three who obviously enjoyed the show and appreciated non-stop adoration from psyched audience.
Altogether once-in-a-lifetime experience (for me anyway) and well worth crazy internet price I paid after washing out on evil Ticket-fucking-Master.
OFFLINE |