View Single Post
rakeshuva
04-19-2006, 01:18 PM

the issue of "commercial" sounding music is often blown out of proportion. sometimes bands forge the way for musical change such that their music becomes what is considered "commercial". i'd say this is what happened with metallica's black album. at the time we were coming off the heals of horrible hair bands and some good rock bands that were called metal (GNR). when the album came out and the music was played on the radio, people said they sold out. but i really don't think that sound was on the radio prior to the album.

and to the extent that radio plays tool music, everyone goes crazy that they sold out. what if radio, at least for that moment, is improving rather than playing typical "radio" music? you think schism is a radio song? i don't think there's anything like it. and don't tell me "earshot" even compares to tool. their vocals may sound similar at times, but the music is so dry and boring compared to tool's complexities.

maybe tool's albums fit on a metallica timeline, but kinda mixed up. aenema is much more like justice: good music, not great production. justice had no bass, and aenema just sounds muddy at times. lateralus is more like a combination of master and the black album, just epic pieces, a redefinition in sound and excellent production.

who knows, maybe 10K days will become metallica's "Load" -- considered metallica's "blues" album, shunned by so-called "hardcore" fans that are unwilling to consider that bands change. i always thought load has some great music on it despite the fanbase's opinions, so maybe i'll feel the same about 10kdays.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:18 PM   #9
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: tool on the metallica timeline..

the issue of "commercial" sounding music is often blown out of proportion. sometimes bands forge the way for musical change such that their music becomes what is considered "commercial". i'd say this is what happened with metallica's black album. at the time we were coming off the heals of horrible hair bands and some good rock bands that were called metal (GNR). when the album came out and the music was played on the radio, people said they sold out. but i really don't think that sound was on the radio prior to the album.

and to the extent that radio plays tool music, everyone goes crazy that they sold out. what if radio, at least for that moment, is improving rather than playing typical "radio" music? you think schism is a radio song? i don't think there's anything like it. and don't tell me "earshot" even compares to tool. their vocals may sound similar at times, but the music is so dry and boring compared to tool's complexities.

maybe tool's albums fit on a metallica timeline, but kinda mixed up. aenema is much more like justice: good music, not great production. justice had no bass, and aenema just sounds muddy at times. lateralus is more like a combination of master and the black album, just epic pieces, a redefinition in sound and excellent production.

who knows, maybe 10K days will become metallica's "Load" -- considered metallica's "blues" album, shunned by so-called "hardcore" fans that are unwilling to consider that bands change. i always thought load has some great music on it despite the fanbase's opinions, so maybe i'll feel the same about 10kdays.